Ten - Aria's P.O.V

Aria's P.O.V

It's Halloween. I have never really liked Halloween because everyone, unlike me, has friends to spend the day with. The one time I did decide to celebrate Halloween has put me off Halloween for eternity.

*Flashback*

"Mum, look at my costume," I said.

"I'm busy, go ask someone else to look at it." She replied aggressively and lifted her magazine off of her lap so it was covering her face.

"But mum, there is no one else in the house to ask except Sydney," I say with a hurt expression, she doesn't even realise how hurtful her words can be.

"Don't bother Sydney" She snaps. "She has a very important dance competition tomorrow and she needs to concentrate" She removes the magazine from her eyes and gives me a look of disapproval. By a look of disapproval, I mean a look which makes me want to run out of the house and never return, that's how bad it is.

"I won't" I whisper.

"you won't what?" She asks.

"I won't bother Sydney."

"Good, now get out of my sight and don't even think about going trick or treating this year." She demands and continues to read her magazine.

That is all I needed to hear for tears to start dwelling in my eyes. Why does she treat me like this? What have I done to deserve this? Does she really care more about her step-daughter than she does about me?

Before I know it, I'm sobbing uncontrollably in my bedroom, but, it doesn't take long for me to fall asleep with a tear-stained face and a broken heart.

*End of flashback*

My ringtone slices through the silence, slicing my chain of thoughts in the process. I grab the demanding device and answer the call without checking who's calling.

"Hello, is this Aria?" Someone says through the speaker.

"Yes, why? Who is this?" I answer wearily. You can never be too careful when you are a gang member.

"Calm down girl, it's only me, Sylvia." I can imagine her now, desperately trying to hold back a laugh. I haven't known her for long but I do know that if she has a chance to laugh, she will.

"Oh," I say in relief. "How'd you get my number?"

"I may or may not have borrowed your phone and saved your number." She said whilst giggling.

"Sylvia!" I shout in shock. "I could have had anything on my phone."

"Lucky for me you didn't" She replies.

"Yeah lucky for you or you wouldn't be talking to me right now," I say jokingly whilst running my fingers through my hair to remove the knots.

"Empty threats Aria, empty threats," She said whilst laughing.

"Wait, how did you get on my phone, I have a password," I question.

"Come on, if you really want to keep people out of your phone, you're going to need a better password than 1234"

"Sylvia" I hiss "Someone could be listening and you've just told them my password." I scan my room to check if there actually is anyone spying on me. As I said, you can never be too careful when you're a gang member.

"You better change it then, I'm just doing what any friend would do, now whatever you're trying to hide on your phone will be safe." She says. I can almost hear the smirk which is obviously plastered on her face right now. "Now we have that sorted" She continues. "You're coming to a Halloween party with me tonight, everyone from my school is coming." I can hear the excitement in her voice as she tries to keep calm, she isn't fooling anybody.