Chapter 2

My fingers drummed restlessly on the armrest. The auditorium was cool and alive with activity. People were running, shouting and laughing. I was impatient for the briefing to begin. My eyes scanned the growing crowd and came to rest on Benjamin. He was talking with someone, looking relaxed. His hands were in his jean pockets. His muscled chest moved underneath his thin shirt as he talked with the person in front of him.

Suddenly, the room fell silent. I followed the stares to the main door. A man had just entered. He was clad in leather from head to toe. A large crowd entered behind him and fell into step with him. The leader of the group glanced in Benjamin's direction. He made a comment and the rest of his group laughed. Benjamin's snarl could be heard from across the room.

"Take your seats, please!" a booming voice sounded over the speakers. "That means you too mister Thorne. Good. Now, let us begin."

The man introduced himself as Mister Rodgers, the head of the academy. He welcomed everyone back and told of a few new instructors who had joined this "prestigious institute."

"...and so, our ancestors decided that enough was enough. We were done hiding, hurting and being hunted like animals. They created Westridge Academy for Werewolves. Here, we are safe and protected. Each year, we receive nearly five thousand werewolves from all around the world. Their vision was to enter this academy as a first grader: young, naive and weak, and to leave as a twenty two year old: strong, capable and ready to face life's challenges."

Mister Rodgers was a pudgy man in his late fifties. He was nearly bald and had a slightly nasal sound to his voice. I yawned. I've heard all of this a thousand times before. Only before, I was sitting in a board room and staring at a screen. I snapped my mouth shut. Everyone was staring at me. Someone snickered. I'd missed something...

"Mister Galager?" Mister Rodgers still had that fake smile plastered across his red face. I looked around uncertainly. My eyes connected with a pair that were nearly hidden behind thick, round rimmed glasses. Corbin. He made a motion with his hand. I frowned. He did it again. Oh!

I shot up from my chair, my eyes going wide. The crowd chuckled. "Right. As you all know, Finn Galager will be joining us for his final eligible year. Finn, on behalf of all students, staff members and myself, I'd like to say how deeply sorry we are about your loss. Our greatest sympathies."

I only nodded my head, afraid that my voice might break if I tried to say something. Hushed whispers filled the room.

"Now, now. Settle down," Mister Rodgers continued. "Finally, last but not least, I'd like to welcome the future Alphas of the two biggest packs in the world. Hunter Morgan from the Blackheart pack." The leather clad man who had made the crowd fall silent stood up to tremendous cheers. A cocky grin was plastered on his face. His white hair was jelled into spikes and his eyes were so green that I could make out the colour all the way from across the room. "And Benjamin Thorne from the Silverblood pack."

My jaw dropped. Benjamin? I was the rommate of a complete asshole who also happens to be the future of our fighting forces? Silverblood pack has produced the best warriors for over a hundred years. Half of our force comes from that pack. No. His pack.

Benjamin stared straight ahead. He didn't smile and wave like Hunter had. The cheering was softer, more laid back. But I could see it in their eyes. They respected him a lot more than they did Hunter. Hunter's cheers had been out of fear. Benjamin's cheers were out of true and utter awe. Hunter knew it too judging from the sneers that he shot everyone.

The rest of the briefing passed in a blur of information. What you can do. What you absolutely cannot do. Where you're allowed to walk. When you're allowed to use the gym. The list went on and on. The younger kids were growing restless. Seven year olds can only stay calm for so long. They were used to pack meetings, but this was nearly twice as long.