Chapter 9

I was too scared to open my mouth. Ben's dad, Michael, was smiling warmly at me. I couldn't trust his kindness, though, could I? He should be outraged by all of this. I felt Ben lightly nudge my side with his elbow. I shut down my fear and tried to focus. Michael held his outstretched hand in obvious anticipation.

I cleared my throat and stepped forward. "Pleasure to meet you, sir," I said while shaking his hand.

Michael nodded once, dropped my hand and turned to Ben. "Let's see how fast we can sort this mess out, shall we?" He fell silent for a moment, getting a dazed look in his eyes. A few seconds later, three wolves burst out of the shadows and made a break for the woods, presumably to follow the three runaways that had just confessed to murder and kidnapping.

"Come, boys," Michael looked between Ben and I while gesturing. "They're waiting for us."

A strange feeling filled my chest as I looked at the auditorium packed full of people. It reminded me of my first day here. It had been a mere two weeks ago, but it felt like a lifetime. A few things were different this time, however. I was standing on the stage in the front of the crowd with Silverblood packmembers surrounding me. Blackheart pack was nowhere to be found, even the children had been evacuated last night already. Nobody under eighteen was allowed into the auditorium today, anyway. Councilmembers, excluding Joseph Morgan, huddled together in one corner while whispering to each other. Guard members from the Silver Circle stood at attention by the doors.

I gulped.

There was a loud click as the microphone was switched on and Michael stepped forward. A hush fell across the gathered crowd and heads were bowed in respect to the leader of the Council.

"I won't waste our time here," Michael's booming voice filled the room. "Everyone here knows that the Galager Pack was murdered in cold blood. We suspected it to be rogue wolves, but recent evidence and the testimony of a few people has changed our minds. Members from Blackheart pack conspired with rogues to murder the Galager pack." Gasps sounded.

The corner of my mouth tugged up. Ben and his dad had convinced the council to listen to me as I told them what I saw on the tapes that day. Other councilmembers were then brave enough to step forward and share their stories of blackmail and abuse at the hands of Joseph Morgan. All of it had happened within an hour after my first meeting with Michael and now we were finally taking action against my family's murderers.

"The mass murder of the world's strongest pack was a tragedy to say the least. The pack was cought off guard, raided from the inside while gravely outnumbered. The fight was over before it even began and the dishonorable side rose as victors. The Galager pack was taken out by people who they considered trustworthy allies, and they will always be remembered." Michael cleared his throat and Finn could relate since his heart tightened painfully. "On the other hand, Blackheart pack will always be remembered as the pack that betrayed their people. They called in the help of nearly a hundred rogues across the world and compensated them nicely for their contribution in this murder plot."

A murmer ran through the crowd. Nobody had missed the comment about how Blackheart pack will be remembered, as if their going extinct was already a done deal. The three runaway wolves from Blackheart pack that had been left behind to kill me along with the beta had been caught after a short chase through the woods, they were still young after all. They were interrogated and gave up the information quickly enough after the Council promised to spare their lives. They would be facing only mild persecution since they didn't even participate in the murder and a pack will then be found to place them with.

"Yes. You heard me right," Michael continued. "Blackheart pack has further tainted their image by kidnapping one of the Silverblood packmembers, Declan O'Donnell, and trying to murder my son's mate, Finn Galager." More shocked gasps filled the room. I guess the news of my and Ben's relationship hadn't had time to spread yet. Through the gasps, though, I could also hear growls and snarls from the Silverblood pack. I smiled. My pack.