Chapter 6

It was nearing the end of the official school day. Ben and I had spent the whole day talking and kissing in the clearing. I'd never felt this connection with anyone before. My insides twisted with nerves. If I was planning on telling him, it had to be now.

I laughed at Ben's last joke, but grew solemn and took a shaky breath. "Ben," I started, still unsure of what I was about to do. "I need to tell you about the Council." Ben looked at me quizzically. "Hunter's father is currently second in command on the Council and your father is the leader. With my father gone however, a place on the Circle has just opened up. The Elders are currently searching for someone that's eligible to fill the position but we all know there is only two eligible candidates."

My mind flashed back to the night of the attack on my family. "Ben, the night that my pack died, I saw someone on the security tapes right before they blacked out. Nobody else but the Council saw them, but... I saw the alpha of Blackheart, Hunter's dad. He was meeting with my father when the attack began."

"Hunter's dad died?" Ben asked. He rose to a sitting position next to me, his eyebrows furrowed. I copied his position.

"No. No he didn't. Joseph Morgan claimed that he hadn't seen my father for over six months before his death. He never told anyone that he went to see my father half an hour before my entire back was killed."

"But if the Council saw the tapes-"

"Joseph Morgan saw the tapes. Your father was busy with the funeral arrangements, so the tapes were passed on to him to examine as representative of the council. I only saw them by accident when I walked into the control room at the councilhouse while he was out. I was curious and watched through the few minutes right before they went black. Joseph declared the tapes clean three days later. He said he couldn't see anything suspicious, but he also never said that he was there at the time of the attack."

"Why didn't you tell anyone?"

I laughed humourlessly. "Who would believe my word above a Council member's? Besides, I couldn't trust anyone. Blackheart pack filled half of the council and they were clearly corrupted. I didn't know anything about your pack, the Silverbloods, at that stage and so I couldn't trust you. I had no one left."

Ben took my face in his hands. "Finn, I swear unto you that if Joseph Morgan had anything to do with your family's murder, I'll kill him and his entire pack."

I smiled, "You can bet on it that if he had killed them, I'll murder him myself."

***

"Are you sure about this?" I asked Ben, combing my hair in the bathroom mirror. It was friday night, and we were minutes away from sneaking off Academy grounds.

"Not really. But we've snuck out a bunch of times before, and nothing bad has ever come of it."

I looked at him skeptically. "Where are we headed again?"

Ben shrugged. I was just about to call the whole thing off and declare that I wasn't moving from this room, when a knock sounded at the door. I looked at Ben with wide eyes, but he just chuckled and opened the door.

Corbin and Harry burst into the room. The were dressed in dark clothing and leather jackets, just like us. Harry threw the door shut behind him with a loud bang.

"Great. That's not suspicious at all," Corbin said dryly. He didn't have his glasses on. I frowned. He must have noticed, because he pointed to his eyes and said, "The glasses are just for show. They also have a hidden memory stick in them for emergencies. Everyone ready?"

"Not even a little bit," I said.

"Fantastic! Let's go then." Corbin opened the door a slit and peeked out. He gave a thumbs up for us to follow him. I took a deep breath and slipped out after Ben, closing the door behind me.

We made it to the fence that surrounded the Academy without being seen. I was so nervous that I jumped at every sound. I was already being teased for calling a false alarm on a squirrel. I stared up at the giant stone fence that surrounded the Academy. There wasn't any electrical wires, at least. But it still looked impossible to climb.

"I'm sorry for teasing you on all of that gel in your hair, Harry," Corbin said teasingly. "You're clearly gonna need it to not let your hour of hard work go to waste with this climb."

Ben looked at Harry. "You spent an hour on your hair?"

"Shut up," Harry snapped as he took a hold of the first two rocks that jutted out.

Scaling the fence was no easy task. There were numerous slips and near misses. But we had a lot of fun and opted to rather laugh at each other than stress about it. It took us a good half an hour of slipping and falling to finally drop down on the other side.

We walked for about fifteen minutes more before we broke free of the woods and saw the town lights below us.

"They chose this town for the Academy because it's so small," Corbin said dryly. "Barely even ten thousand people. There isn't a lot of entertainment here, so don't expect to much."

Corbin was wrong. Very, very wrong. Turns out that we were going to what they called 'the only thing this town is good for': the club. The Black Diamond was filled to the brim with dancing bodies. The scent of alcohol hung in the air and the smoke machine made everything hazy.

We were seated at a booth in the corner, staring out over the dance floor. My shock must have shown on my face, because Ben leaned over to me and whispered in my ear, "It's not so bad." His breath made my whole body tingle. I could barely hear him over the music.

"I beg to differ," I said, sipping my drink.

"Let me show you just how fun it can be." Ben grabbed my hand. I had to move fast to put my drink down on the table before it spilled. I was led to the dance floor.

Ben turned to me slowly. His hands dropped to rest on my hips as he started moving to the music. I had no idea what to do. I didn't even know how to dance. Ben shook his head, a smile graced his lips. He placed my arms around his neck, gripped me a bit firmer and started forcing me to move.

Dancing in a club wasn't nearly as hard as I'd thought it would be. Pleople were basically just jumping up and down, and most of them were too drunk to even notice anything around them.

Ben's eyes turned mischievous and he brought his head down. "Ben-" I started, but was cut off when he kissed me. I was hesitant at first. Harry and Corbin could be anywhere and what if someone else from the Academy was here. Instructors were allowed out at any time. My resolve faded when Ben's tongue delved into my mouth. I pulled his head closer, my arms still wrapped around his neck, while he pulled on my hips.

Ben suddenly pulled back. I growled in frustration. The sound must have been carried to him, because his eyes suddenly held a strange glint in them. He looked out over the dance floor. Satisfied, he yanked me in a different direction than where our table was.

We were in a hallway. I could see the signs that indicated the bathrooms on the one side. The was a break in the wall about ten meters from it, near the end of the hallway. The small indentation in the wall was barely even big enough to fit both of us. We were pressed tightly together, facing each other. There weren't any lights around and I could only see the outline of Ben's face. His arms were wrapped tightly around my back, securing me to him.

I lifted my hand and traced it down his cheek. He kissed me again. My hand went to his hair, the other gripping his arm. The desperation in us was evident. Werewolves weren't supposed to be without their mates and we were holding out longer than what I've heard is the norm.

I pressed myself closer to Ben. His tongue slipped into my mouth again. His hands were moving lower and cane to a stop on my ass. We could barely breathe.

Suddenly, our perfect fairytale was shattered by someone shouting in the hallway. "No fucking way!"