Chapter 4

The kiss ended as abruptly as it had begun. Benjamin pulled away and walked out of the bathroom without another word. I shivered. The sudden loss of his heat left me cold. I quickly pulled on some clothes.

Benjamin was pacing in front of the window on his side of the room. His hair was tousled from the countless times his fingers were running through it. I leaned against the wall, arms crossed. I subconsciously brushed my own blond waves back as I watched Benjamin.

He finally stopped. "This is wrong," he said confidently.

I sighed. Clearly it was going to take some convincing, "You're right. We should never see each other again," I said in a fake serious tone.

Benjamin's head snapped up, his eyes going wide. "No! That's not what I said at all. Stop putting words in my mouth. Not seeing each other would be..." Benjamin stopped mid sentence. I cocked an eyebrow. He dropped his head into his hands, his shoulders shook with laughter. "Man, this is so messed up."

"No. No it's not," I said. "We have a mate bond, Benjamin. Not even you can deny that. It's very simple if you ask me. We're werewolves. We need our mates. More so us because we're alphas. We need each other. We were made to be together."

"And the council? My packmembers? Tell me: how will they accept... this." Benjamin motioned between us.

"Do you love your pack?"

"Heart and soul. They're my family. You know how..." I cringed. "Sorry," Benjamin said.

"Well, if they love you too, they'll accept you no matter who you are. And anyway, maybe it doesn't even work out between us." He gave me a dry look, but I continued to tease him. "Maybe I'll dump your sorry ass after a week and things will go back to normal."

Benjamin rolled his eyes, but he had a smile on his face. It was strange to see him smile. I never thought I would see it. "What about the council, Finn? What about the Silver Circle?"

"What about them? They don't own me. They won't tell me who to spend my life with. I will choose my mate. And anyway, maybe in a week-"

I was cut off mid sentence when Benjamin tackled me to the floor. His arms were underneath me, breaking my fall. Benjamin landed on top of me. "Stop saying that!"

"Oh yeah? Or what?" I teased.

"Or... Or..."

"You suck at threatening people," I laughed. Benjamin's face grew worried again. "Hey, I-"

"Do you really mean it? That you don't care what the rest of our people think of...us?"

I thought for a moment before answering him. "Ever since I was a little boy, I've dreamed of meeting my mate. Of holding the most precious thing in the world to me in my arms. Of having my best friend by my side at all times. I've spent countless sleepless nights imagining our meeting, our first kiss."

Benjamin turned red and looked away from my face, making a move to get up off of me. "Sorry to disappoint you," he said. His demeanor was changing again. He was shutting himself off from me.

I gripped him around the waist with one arm and cupped his cheek with my free hand. I went on as if I was never interrupted, "Now. Here, with you. I realise that I'd wasted my time. Because nothing - no dreaming, planning or wishing - could have made this more perfect. Could have made you more perfect."

Benjamin was speechless. Hell, I was speechless. When did I even have time to think about my declaration. Half an hour ago, I hadn't even been sure that he felt the mate bond too while I was set on denying that it even existed at all. I cleared my throat awkwardly and removed my hands. Benjamin was still on top of me, staring wide eyed at me.