xxii. A SNOW GLOBE MOMENT

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWOA SNOW GLOBE MOMENT

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
A SNOW GLOBE MOMENT

I held the snow globe in my lap, figuring it was better to give something for my hands to focus on.

  Inside, the small snowman smiled brightly at me, a blue gingham scarf tied around his neck. There were a cluster of white flecks at his feet and if I were to turn it upside down and then back up right, it would fall down through the water slowly like snow.

  The snowman, which I had named Marty when I had gotten it, was encased in a perfect world. A perfect world with fake snow and gingham scarves. A world, that at this point, I wished I could be a part of.

  Because the real world seemed to be crashing down around us. Ever since the winter formal, nothing had been going our way. We had been fooling ourselves into believing that we could possibly win against everything in our path. We thought we could take down the kanima, have a healthy and stable truce with Derek and his pack. We even thought we could outsmart the Argents.

  But no, we could not be in a perfect world. This was Beacon Hills, a beacon for the supernatural and a beacon for struggle. Here, nothing went your way, no matter how hard you tried.

  Derek was not an ally to us, nor do I think he will ever be. He helped us from time to time, but would turn on us in a matter of nanoseconds if the need arose. He only needed a pack to make him stronger. He may be the Alpha, but that did not mean that he cared enough to do his job.

  The Argents knew of our plans, because Allison thought she could trust them. She was toeing the line between her family and friends and it was not working out for her. One day, she was going to get hurt. She had said in the past that when battle lines get drawn, there will be crossfire. What Allison did not understand was that it wasn't Scott getting caught up in it. It was her.

  And then there was the fact that Jackson had gotten out when Stiles, Isaac, Erica and I were meant to be watching it. The kanima was being controlled and we still didn't know by whom. A mass murdering lizard was bad enough. A mass murdering lizard that was being controlled by someone was about a gazillion times worse.

  "So let me get this straight," I started, looking up at Stiles and Scott. "Derek said that he doesn't know how to take this thing down."

  Scott nodded. He had survived the near death experience that Mrs. Argent had set up for him. Derek hadn't been kidding when he said that Scott was dying. I was grateful that he hadn't fully succumbed to the wolfsbane poisoning that he was subjected to. We needed Scott more than anything.

  "He said that every full moon is just gonna make him more powerful," Scott sighed, running a hand through his hair. He was strewn across my carpet, staring up at the ceiling like it had answers.