xxiii. WARPING REALITY

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEWARPING REALITY

WARPING REALITY

  The door of the Martin house opened, revealing Lydia holding a tray of pink liquid filled glasses and an unamused look.

"Hey Lydia," I grinned, my boyfriend standing behind me and fidgeting every five seconds.

I'm pretty sure he was still a little hopped up from the make out session we just had against his jeep. And still massively disappointed from when I told him that we had to go and actually attend Lydia's party.

"Hey Carson!" Lydia said, her grimace quickly turning into a grin. She looked behind me. "Stiles."

"Hey Lydia, happy birthday," Stiles told her awkwardly.

She nodded. "Your sidekick's out back," she trilled, before walking off. "Don't forget to try the punch!"

Stiles looked at me in confusion as we stepped in the house and shut the door behind us. "Do you notice anything weird?" he asked.

"Like what? Lydia seemed perfectly fine to me," I shrugged.

Stiles took a look around the empty foyer. "I don't know, something doesn't seem right."

Again, I shrugged, before tugging him down the hallway towards the back of the house. We weren't even anywhere near the exit to the patio when Scott seemed to come out of nowhere.

"Hey," he said, looking relieved to see people he could talk to.

"Sup?" Stiles asked and they did some weird bro hug thing. I've spent almost every waking hour with these two since we were four and I will seriously never understand the necessity of their 'bro hug'.

"Not much, have you two seen Jackson?" Scott asked.

"No," I answered.

He nodded before asking, "Have you seen Allison?"

"She and I came here together but I kinda ditched her when I saw Stiles," I said sheepishly and Scott rolled his eyes at me.

"Why am I not surprised?" Scott moaned. "Wait, Stiles, did you tell Carson what we found?"

I raised an eyebrow. "No he did not."

Stiles gave me an innocent smile. "My mind was kind of elsewhere when I ran into you."

Scott fake gagged. "Well, you could tell her now."

Stiles nodded, before turning to me. "Okay, so we have a connection now. All the people who died and Isaac's brother? They were all on the swim team."

I nodded, as the pieces began falling together. "Wait, didn't Isaac's dad use to be the swim coach, like back then?"

Stiles nodded. "We think this might have something to do with the whole kanima and the water thing. How they were all on the swim team and how the kanima acts around water. Like how it wouldn't come after us once we were in the pool."