Chapter 12- Chasing Your Trust

A million thoughts raced through his floundering mind as he stepped out of the fresher and wrapped the fluffy towel Ahsoka had graciously procured for him, around his broad torso. This oncoming discussion could go in so many directions it was almost a labyrinth to follow, and Anakin was so afraid she'd reject him, he couldn't bring himself to analyze the undesirable outcomes. 

But he wasn't optimistic enough to review the good ones either. 

Gingerly, Anakin made his way down the short hallway, ambling for both an excuse to stall and to appreciate the fine decor of art she had posted all around him in a cluster of beauty. It didn't take him long to discover the pattern matched up with that of Onderon, but he didn't have time to ask Ahsoka about it before she thrust another tray into his robed lap. 

"If your eating habits were anywhere near what they were while we were at the temple, then you're probably starving by now." His former apprentice greeted as he took up a spoon. It was a fancy Onderonian dish and he savored it as he took his satisfaction as a reason not to retort. 

Ahsoka studied him for a moment after that, the glimpse of the cheeky youngling he knew replaced by the intelligent woman that found him in a murky alleyway an hour ago. It was certainly not long since he saw her last, at least, not long enough to see a distinct change in the young girl, but Anakin knew her better than anyone and despite her hardened glare through his soul, he noticed a shift in her innocence. Much like the one he saw glittering in her tearful blue eyes when she lost her squadron that first time on command. 

After a short silence, Ahsoka's glare of intense scrutiny mellowed out to a stare as she leaned forward. Her eyes were narrowed, but it was obvious to him how curious and hopeful she was that he was not the madman running around swinging a Sith's crimson blade.  

Anakin swallowed as he met her sharp eyes. He wasn't swinging a crimson blade anyway... 

"So, let's start from the beginning, shall we?" She started slowly. Her tangerine fingers were laced together as she stared at him expectantly, ready to analyze every breath he took for the protruding hitch of a lie. 

Anakin said nothing, deciding to take a chance at the steaming bowl of stew instead. "Which beginning?" He asked through his chewing on the succulent meat tucked inside. "There are too many for me to know which one your demanding." 

She scowled deep for a second, deep enough for a growl to come out at his idiocy. However, she knew what he was doing. Anakin excelled with the art of theartic diversion, and while this was not his usual flare, he was the bait in his reckless schemes for a reason. 

He had a warriors finesse, an infuriating smirk, and stalling his superiors and adversaries, were his pastimes. 

"Alright Anakin, you're never straight, so let me be blunt with you." The absence of her earlier kindness was spooking him. Was this an interrogation tactic to be so mercurial? If so, he was pretty sure he didn't teach her this skill.

"Why did you kill those innocent beings?" 

Anakin actually grimaced, almost choking on the warm liquid. She did warn him, and he knew his little incidents were plastered all across the galaxy by now, but it still felt like she had punched him straight where the sun don't shine to hear her such a cruel accusation that was actually inverted enough to be half true.

Lead jumped through his throat, and she watched him sputter with her arms crossed until she got an answer. However, once he stopped coughing melodramatically, she was met with a permeation through the force and all around her. She almost lost her sternness when it struck her. Grief and self-loathing engulfed them, and she was touched with a grace of slight fear and hesitation, not from him this time (Although each were present inside him) but herself.