Chapter 24- Changing Tactics

Well that hadn't gone well. 

Padmé waited with baited breath and with impatience her Ani would be proud of for Obi-Wan to return from his trance- his venture into a dangerous mind. She sat there for force knows how long, grasping the flesh and the robotic gloves like a lifeline, her outfit ruined by soot and ash, the same annoying substances covering both spirits of her husband. She vaguely wondered how long it would take to get that putrid smell of smoke from his honey curled mane. 

The suffocating heat of Mustafar's so called breeze whisked past her cheeks, leaving behind a burning sensation that was not at all pleasant, but it was just another burden to deal with. Padmé would not acknowledge it, but she was extremely unconformable. Her back was slouched and achy, her knees were long asleep, allowing pins and needles to irritate her as she held the position of devoted and concerned wife. That, coupled with her giant belly housing her precious babies who decided to use her bladder as a trampoline and her womb as a playpen were quite rough on her. It came with bursts of agony that made her bite her lips until there were marks left, waiting... just waiting for the pain to be over in more ways than one. However, despite all of this, Padmé was nothing if not diligent and the longer she knelt there, hands occupied by her lover's, babies kicking to remind her she was not alone, the stronger she forced her weakening body to feel. 

A fresh wave of gut-clenching pregnancy pains finally released it's hold on her strained insides when a loud, startled, yet despairing cry rang out through the lava planet. Had she been force sensitive, she could have felt the darkness shove him out of it's lair.

All too quickly there was abrupt movement in the tranquil motionlessness and she watched in shock and horror as Obi-Wan- who had been mirroring her posture all except for the hands, which for him were resting on the chosen one's foreheads- was flung from the center vertex of their strange triangle formation. 

The gentle white light that had encompassed the trio ever since the ritual started dissipated with almost a sudden violent ripping and she gasped as the two floating forms of her husband hit the cold black sand once more with an unsettling thud. 

"Obi-Wan!" Padmé shrieked, anxiety and physical pain becoming too much only because of the break in routine. Only the unconscious pull of the chosen one's slack grips intertwined with her own kept her from rushing towards the Jedi master. Her mouth hung open in silent, paralyzed terror, inhaling the repulsive smoke but somehow not caring as she felt herself waiting once again. 

It seemed to have dragged on for hours but really it was only a few apprehensive moments of vigorous coughing. However time didn't seem to phase her because her pounding heart- more than that of her actual eyes- stalked him intensely, waiting for him to break the situation to her and answer her unending questions. 

What did he see?

Was he successful? 

Was she going to loose her husband?!

Her mind raced with dire scenarios of what would make or break her, the suspense far more excruciating than any physical discomfort that was gripping her body. She analyzed every motion that would give her the slightest clue to how the supposed to be redeeming endeavor went, her heart was choking her tender throat and she could take no more. 

Finally, Obi-Wan's body stopped lurching forward, the violent hacking like that of a drowning man bursting to the surface for precious oxygen, finally giving way to unbearable silence and an atmosphere of something eerily close to mourning. 

The suspense was truly killing her as she watched him still. Not even his eye twitched as the tired looking orbs drooped down to the molten rock he slouched on. She felt like the whole time she had been watching a priceless glass vase slowly descend to the hard wood flooring of an expensive apartment. It's breathtaking, intricate designs coming ever closer to an unceremonious ending until finally they locked eyes and the vase splattered to millions of tiny pieces on the ground. The sound that accompanied it was that of her heart breaking.