Chapter 2: Promise?

I mumbled in frustration as I continued to collect firewood to try and set up a temporary base. I felt like bursting out in a rage, forgetting about the bit of sanity I had left, and hunting down every last Dodger that ever lived, but I reasoned with the fact that I would probably need way more arrows and weapons to bring that many people down. So the problem wasn't the number of Dodgers - it was definitely my equipment.

Trevor watched me from a distance, nervousness on his furred face. His brown eyes stared at the circle of rocks I put into place and the bits of firewood I had already planted there. He was probably wondering whether I would calm down, or if the fire would actually work. Maybe he was wondering about both.

After half an hour, I finally got the fire going and sat next to it, with Trevor's head on my lap. He looked just as depressed as I felt. He knew exactly what had happened; We lost our home, and the bit of food we had to some inconsiderate, thieving, Dodgers.

My golden and ember eyes reflected off the fire's flames and seemed to burn with hatred. This wasn't the first time I had been cheated out by Dodgers, but I was sick of them getting away with it. No matter what they did or who they hurt, it would never seem to make them feel bad. Did they not have hearts? Of course they did, but it wasn't working properly. It was made with metal and iron, pumping blood, but never feeling the emotions I still held within me.

All of a sudden, something across the fire moved closer, into my field of vision. To my surprise, it was Angeli. She seemed frightened and I had no idea why. That's when I realized that the fire against my eyes was probably freaky-looking. I growled in annoyance and she jumped back a little. I honestly was going to blame her for all of this. Who did she think she was, showing up around here when she knew her "people" were the ones who caused this?

"Mathias, please, listen," She started, but I stood up abruptly, scaring Trevor out of my lap.

"There's nothing to listen to! You probably knew all along that this was going to happen, and you were stalling me just so they got the chance to steal from me!" I screamed and she stared at me, fear in her blue eyes. She had her arms up to her chest, almost as if trying to shield herself. My anger had been held in long enough. It was time to find out what this anger could really do.

"N-no! I had nothing to do with it! I only expected them to go out into the woods for berries, not apparently tear your home apart!" I scowled, unable to believe what she was saying. I mean, how could I? She was playing me from the start! Angeli slowly walked over to the other side of the fire - where I stood - and looked up at me timidly. I stared down at her, hatred still burning in my heart, and I did the unthinkable.

"Your sister was killed by my brother, right? Well, I bet he had a good reason, if she was anything like you." Her scared face turned into a face full of surprise. She opened her mouth to say something, but quickly shut it. She was shaking from head to toe, and I admit, I felt bad. No matter how angry I was, her sister and my brother had nothing to do with this. This was my deal, not theirs.

"A-Angeli, I-I didn't mean-" She slapped me across the face before I could finish. A burning sensation erupted from my cheek and I stared at her in shock.

Tears streamed down her face and she practically screamed at me, "Don't you ever talk that way about my sister, Lankie! You have no idea what she went through until your stupid brother came along and killed her in front of me! He left me there, practically abandoned when he did it, and I won't stand here and let some dirty-mouthed guy tell me that your brother did it for a good reason!"

I watched as she slumped to the ground and sobbed uncontrollably, staring at the fire. A stabbing pain in my heart urged me to kneel down beside her. As I did, I glanced over at Trevor. He had a questioning look on his face. He most likely didn't expect me to do what I was going to do next.