Chapter 28: Unfortunate Event Chain

Sure, there was a blistering cold kind of weather and sure, we were being chased by strangers, but hey, we somehow managed to make it. Where exactly was this? We didn't have the slightest clue, but this was our only hope and chance left. It might've been a fairly large and gloomy building like the rest, but it seemed out of place. A little too out of place.

I was still wondering how I was not dead as we made our way inside the place, trying not to get detected. Who ever heard of someone being able to walk without a functioning nervous system? Getting shot in the chest had to have caused some kind of severe damage! To top it all off, I seemed to be a walking package of spare blood. No matter how much of it I lost, i never seemed to be affected unless it was a large amount. I wasn't complaining, of course. I was only utterly confused. It seemed that no matter what happened to me, I just wouldn't die.

"Mathias," I shook my thoughts away and faced the direction of my called name. "You alright? We've been telling you to pass us Burgundy," I looked down at the dog, who was staring up at the two girls getting in through an open window. The curiosity and wonder in his eyes was so innocent, so child-like.

Chuckling, I picked him up as he protested, not used to being carried. After all, big dogs were hard to carry. "Jeez, what did you eat?" I asked the animal in my arms. He growled slightly, wanting me to let him go.

"I got him," Angeli reached down and hauled the dog up through the window, with some help from Sammy. "Ok, you next." She extended her hands out to me and I took each, climbing up the wall with my feet digging into the large ceramic bricks. I swung my leg over the window's sill and threw myself into the room, making no effort to keep myself from falling.

"Uh..." Sam raised an eyebrow at me. Burgundy waltzed over, licking my ear as if he were trying to wake me up even though I was clearly awake.

"I'm worn out, ok?" I rolled over, swatting Mr. I-Love-Ear-Wax away. "I can't be the only one."

"Trust me, you're not." Angeli plopped herself beside me, heaving and trying to catch her breath. "Sad part is, I don't think we lost them."

"Still, I think we're in the right place." I stated, sitting up and looking around at the new room.

Dear lord, only we would end up here.

I stared in horror at the various tools and weapon-like kitchen utensils. This would've been slightly normal, if they weren't all covered in either fresh or dried blood. It wasn't only disturbing. It was just plain disgusting. They were all laid out on metal tables, as if that was the place where they cut up whatever it was they had killed.

"Ok then..." I mumbled, standing up and offering a hand to Angeli as well. "Burgundy, you stay here." He looked at me and then sat down. Well. That was easy.

"This is sick," I heard Sam murmur beside me. I nodded, though she might not have been talking to anyone in particular. "Let's get out of here." She said to us and I immediately agreed.

"That looks like the way out." I reached out to the door and opened it slowly, not wanting to open it and find someone waiting right outside it like the last time I opened a door.

"Are you sure you want to leave him here?" Angeli motioned towards Burgundy.

"He's better off away from us for now, especially when we're being hunted down by the Riches." She nodded at my explanation and went to hug him before following us into the silent hallway. I smiled softly, glad that she had already gotten attached to the dog.

This was no abandoned building, I could tell. There were many doors, some opened, others closed. It seemed as though this was some headquarters or base of operations, seeing as it might have been an office building of some sort. It gave me chills, just thinking about what they were trying to pull off here.