Chapter 22: Golden Fox

Fire enveloped my eyes like they always did. They burned deep within their wake and flared along with the pit. Samantha and I had exited the den, walking side by side to the nearest fire pit that wasn't taken. I couldn't feel the fire's warmth, but I could feel Sam's presence. She sat by my side, staring at the fire along with me.

"I never got the chance to tell you I was leaving." She whispered into the night. "Trevor appeared suddenly and I didn't have a say in what to do..." It sounded as if she were trying to apologize.

"It's fine, Sammy. Just... Don't do it again. You really had me worried. I thought The Beast had gotten a hold of you." I shook my head silently, awaiting her response.

"The Beast? Well... That makes sense. It really is like everyone's out to get you..." My thoughts whirred with her statement. It was true. The Beast, Norman, the Rich Guards... Why were they all targeting me?

"You're right... It's so strange. I didn't even do anything to them. Then again, The Beast and Norman were people I couldn't trust to begin with." I made a good point, but it didn't seem to be enough to explain everything, to her.

"I don't think it's just that, Mathias." I looked up at her to see a worry in her eyes. "You were almost killed by all three of them. Why would they want you dead?" I turned my attention back to the fire and sighed.

"I really have no idea."

"Then find out. You can't just wait around and hope that they don't do anything more. They will, if you give them the chance." She warned.

"Why are you telling me this?" I stared at her hard, knowing that this was one of her weaknesses. No matter what, she would always give in if I stared at her long enough.

"I'm worried about you. Maybe being a Golden Fox wouldn't be a bad idea, and I'm not just saying that because of Trevor. I really do mean it. You would be safe here. After all, the Golden Foxes are a small group and we're a lot like family." She tried convincing me, but I was still hesitant. So many things could go wrong and the last time I trusted someone, they ended up having a whole bunch of accents.

"I would, but I just don't know... All I've ever known feels like it's a lie and I can't take much more of that." I gave out a soft sigh. My smoky breath evaporated into the fire's flames, reflecting off my eyes as if they twinkled whenever I let out a heavy breath.

"Don't think about it. Just do what your heart tells you. It's the best way to go." She grinned lightly before standing up and leaving me to my own thoughts. I watched as she reentered her small den at a distance.

"What my heart tells me..." I repeated. I smiled to myself, knowing exactly what I was going to do. I stood up and started heading towards the main fire in the middle of the clearing. There, Angeli and Derrick were taking to each other quietly. A pang of guilt rushed through me as I realized how dark it had gotten. It was late at night now and they were still sitting there, waiting patiently for me to come back. Everyone else had probably already gone into their own dens to do as they pleased, but they were still out here.

"Hey guys," I greeted silently as I approached them.

"Oh! You're back." Angeli smiled faintly, but then the smile disappeared. "What happened in there?"

"Well, a few things, actually. Apparently, Trevor wants me to be wary of you, Derrick." He chuckled lightly.

"Not a surprise. That's understandable." He shrugged it off, leaving me a little more at ease.

"He also wants me to be careful, since he knows about what happened with the Rich Guards."

"Does he know that you can't feel anything?" Angeli asked as I sat down beside her.