Memories, Part 1

The first time I saw Draco Malfoy I was 4 years old and my very first impression of him was that he was the most beautiful boy I had ever seen.

At least that's the first time i ever really noticed him.

It was August 14th, 1986- My father's wake. My father had passed a few days earlier and my mother was busy running around, making sure that his memorial service surpassed all others.

Our house was full of mourners, no muggles- my father would have hated that, only members of the most elite of Magic Society. Amongst the guests, were the Malfoys- friends of my family since before any of us could remember.

I can't say I remember every detail of this meeting, only that the Malfoys were the first to arrive and the last to leave. As I was still very young, I can't say I fully understood ther significance or understood really what was happening. I knew my father was gone and that I would probably never see him again- but comprehending what that could and would do to me or my family emotionally was way beyond a four year old's capability.

My mother spent all morning trying to slick my hair back like Daphne's. Daphne's hair was always better behaved than mine, it was always perfectly straight. My hair was always a mess of waves and small curl tendrils that managed to escape even the most meticulous hair dressing. Daphne was always spotless too. She was only six years old but she had a grasp on what a little lady should be like and so she made sure to always look and play the role.

I, on the other hand, was always looking for an adventure. I was a tomboy, i suppose you could call me- always getting myself into trouble. I guess everyone assumed it was my youth that always had me making a mess of things. At that point, everyone considered my misgivings more adorable than anything.

That day in August, I remember my mother was busy dazzling as a hostess. I know her heart was aching but i also know she had no time to grieve, she was too busy behaving exactly as our father would have wanted her too. My sister, followed my mother around, trying her best to help her with as much as she could. She was quiet and made sure to give her best smile to everyone. I was impressed by how gracefully she took everyone's condolensences. Sebastian- I can't quite remember much about him at the moment, only that on that day he was very much still and quiet. I suppose being the oldest, he had a better grasp on the reality of things. He was home for the summer from Hogwarts and was due to return on September 1st. On that day, I was wearing a brand new white dress. Yes, white- it wasn't appropriate for a child so young to wear black. Daphne wore grey and I wore white. It was the least impressive of my dresses, simple, elegant and appropriate. I remember the Malfoys, Lucius patting my head gently and Narcissa placing a kiss on my cheek. Her I remember perfectly, she was one of the most beautiful women I had seen until then. She gave my hand a squeeze that, I could see the sympathy in her eyes. I watched Narcissa as she greeted my sister, then my brother and finally embraced my mother.

"don't be rude, you're supposed to say hello" i heard a cool voice say. My sister, who had also been watching Narcissa, turned to the boy who stood infront of us and spoke before I knew what was going on.

It was the little Malfoy.

"I'm sorry, I'm Daphne. Hello" she said, elbowing me so that I might do the same. I, however; was dumbfounded and could not bring myself to say anything but a mumbled wimper. It didn't matter, Draco had not noticed me, but only spoke to Daphne.

"how old are you?" he asked.

"six" she said. I wanted so badly to say my name and age, but the words would not come out of my mouth. I could only stare dumbly at the boy with the beautiful grey eyes. His skin was fair and free of any imperfections, and his hair, although slicked back, was beautiful. All about him was just beautiful.