Chapter 11

I sat quietly in class, trying to ignore Mei’s chattering and tapping my quill nervously on the desk. The Professor’s voice was just a distant mumble and although I tried, I could not concentrate.

 It was October now, the kind of weather I loved and fortunately, I had not had another run in with Greg since that Sunday a few weeks back. He loved to talk to Mei, though, and although he never said anything directly to me, I was pretty sure he kept her talking in some sort of passive effort to annoy me.

 Nothing, however; could take my mind off my mission: How could I get into the Headmaster’s office and use the Pensieve? Briefly, it had occurred to me that I could merely ask to use the Pensieve but then I realized that this would open me up to a world of questioning and besides, how could I explain a memory stolen from a bird?

 I rested my chin over my arms on my desk and let out a rather melancholy sigh. My only choice was to sneak into the headmaster’s office at the only time I knew no one would be around to see me: Dinner.  I began to replay the scenario multiple times, visualizing every step and even coming up with possible excuses in case I should get caught. 

 “Astoria…Astoria… HEY.” I felt someone slap my arm rather hard. I turned to look at Mei, whose permanent gleeful smile towered above me.

 “Yes?” I asked, trying not to be rude. It was inevitable; I had no patience for the girl.

 “Class is over.” She said, skipping towards the door. I looked around, she was right. I was the only person left in the room. Slowly, I gathered my belongings and dragged myself out of the room.

 I have to admit, I wasn’t doing very well. I was stressed about viewing the memory and I was stressed about my own memories.  Every night I fell asleep thinking about Draco and every morning I awoke to find the dreams of him were only dreams. It was crushing.

 With so many things floating around in my head I only just managed to float through my classes, most of that day is still a blur to me.

 Then the time finally came.

“Are you sure you won’t come down?” Willy was drying her face with a linen towel. We always made sure to go up to the room and wash up before dinner.

 “Yes. I’m sure. I have quite a headache and I would rather just stay in bed.” I said, hoping she wasn’t suspicious.

 “We can go to Madam—“she began but I cut her off.

 “No, and make her late for dinner? I’m fine; besides, I just need some extra sleep tonight.” I hoped to sound convincing. Willy stared at me for a second as if suspicious, and then she lightly shrugged her shoulder.

 “Ok. Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me.” She said, flipping her hair and shutting the door behind her.

 I let out a sigh of relief the moment the door was closed. I couldn’t wait to get this over and done with; I needed this to be over.  I waited impatiently for the first half hour; I needed to be sure everyone would be in the dining hall before heading out.

 Roughly thirty minutes later, I poked my head out into the hall and walked carefully into the commons room, making sure that no one was around. Fortunately, Slytherin Commons is in the dungeon, which makes it easier to sneak in and out.

I moved quickly through the corridors, intent that if anyone should see me, it should only be by glance and they would therefore be unable to recognize me. There were multiple places to hide on the way to the Headmaster’s office and I was prepared to squeeze into the necessary cracks should the occasion rise.