Heres Why Family Reunions Terrify Me

Percy Jackson had just saved Olympus and the world. Percy Jackson should have been enjoying his victory with his best friends, Grover Underwood and Annabeth Chase. Percy Jackson was with Annabeth, but he was not enjoying this. Instead of getting some root beer with the Party Ponies or even helping clean up New York with the aftermath of the Titan attack, Percy Jackson was on the 600th floor of the Empire State Building, being grilled by a bunch of gods.

The gods had decided to take Annabeth and Percy into a smaller room, where they were normal people size. Percy was unsure what to do. He had never seen all the gods together, and he had never seen them all in human form. He hadnt seen Hestia since Rachel. He didnt want to think about it. Annabeth had already been told she would be the new architect in charge of rebuilding Olympus. Percy couldnt be happier for her. But now it was his turn. He stood before the gods, trying to remain confident.

"Perseus Jackson," Zeus addressed him by his full name, which made him uneasy. There was a long moment of silent suspense. Despite his normal human size, the King of the Gods still knew how to evoke power. "You have done well." He finally continued. "We have decided to offer you a gift that has not been offered to a mortal in a long time. Its is very percious and rare. We are prepared to offer you immorality, and we offer you the title of Olympian god. You may live with your father, in the sea or dwell here on Olympus."

Percy started at the Lord of the Skies in disbelief. The ability to become a god? To be immortal? To live with his father forever? Percy almost couldnt resist, until... He looked back and saw Annabeths face. She looked like she might cry. He remembered when he thought shed been about to join the Hunters of Artemis. How scared hed been. He looked at the almighty god before him. "No."

"No?!" Zeus looked outraged. "Perseus this is very prestigious. This offer doesnt come along every day. This is something of the utmost value. This is our gift to you. You dare refuse our gift!?" Zeus spoke with so much anger and vigor that Percy started to tremble. He became afraid of the gods, though they were hardly the scariest thing to happen to him all day.

"S-sir, Zeus, i-its a lovely gift," it wasn't like Percy to stutter "b-but im afraid its not of use to me." Percy knew immediately that he had said the wrong thing. Zeus' face turned red.

"Not of use?! Not of use?!" He yelled, enraged at this point. He looked about ready to blow every electrical fuse in Olympus. "You demigods. You always expect us gods to be charitable. Well we arent. We have an image to uphold amd we only need you half mortals to do our bidding. Otherwise you're not of use." Zeus spat out.

Percy began to tremble. He was frightened of his uncle. " Z-zeus," he squeaked out. He took another look at Annabeth, and knew she would never forgive him. "I- i accept your gift."