How To Use Weather Correctly In A Scene

Weather can make a scene feel realistic, but that's only the start of its power. Used correctly, it also evokes mood, provides opportunities for symbolism, and even assists the plot.

Understand The Emotions At Work

Weather inherently affects emotions. A snowstorm may cause fear and isolation. A wild battering wind can ratchet up anxiety. In each scene, know what you want the POV character to feel. Then use weather to reinforce it (while avoiding cliched pairings like crying in the rain.)

Think Outside The Box

There's more to the weather than sun, wind, and rain. Try something unique that fits the mood, like a playful dust devil scattering dry leaves or a pale finger of mist hovering over a bramble of long-dead roses.

Make It Sensory

To pull readers in, use more than just sight. The sounds, smells, textures, and tastes associated with the weather can add greater dimension to a scene.

Use It To Add Tension And Conflict

Weather elements aren't stage dressing. They can be used to derail the character's travel plans (a freak ice storm), create a barrier (a forest fire), or complicate events ( a mudslide that buries the only road to safety).