Battle

Here's another surprise update for you guys!

I had free time today, and I just really wanted to write this chapter out.

Warning: This chapter contains a scene of sexual abuse as well as deals with Zayn's pent up emotions from the past and his state of depression he is in now. Please read carefully guys, and I am always here to talk if needed.

Love you guys, and enjoy. 💕

Chapter 8:

Flashback

"Did you have a fun day today, love?" My mum asked as she tucked me into bed. I nodded up at her and smiled sleepily as she pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Yeah. I like the zoo. The lions are my favorite," I said, and my mum laughed as I did my best to roar like them.

"Maybe next time we can pick you up a stuffed lion. Would you like that?" She asked, and I nodded in excitement, suddenly feeling more awake.

"Can we? Can we, please? I really like them, mummy. A lot!" I said, and she nodded as she ran a hand through my hair in a soothing manner.

"Of course we can, Zayn. I promise. Now, it's time for you to get to bed, my little bird. Do you want your lullaby?" She questioned, and I nodded, feeling my eyes already start to droop as my mum continued to smooth out my hair. Everything about her brought comfort.

Her hand was warm as it played with my hair, and she never pulled on it-- not like daddy did. She smelled like the hot cocoa we drank an hour ago mixed with peppermint. She smelled like what winter should smell like. She smelled like love and home. And when she began to sing, I was slowly lulled to sleep by her voice, which wrapped around me to protect me just as her arms did whenever I was afraid.

"Hush, little bird, The sun is setting now, and the moon is getting high in the sky. Hush little one, the day is over now, and tomorrow's another chance to fly.
So close your eyes, love. Close your eyes and sleep. Sweet, little one," She sang quietly, her voice growing softer as my eyes completely closed, but I fought my sleep in order to hear her sweet voice finish the song.

"No more crying. No more shedding tears about today or yesterday. No more doubting. No more living in fear. You'll find a way into tomorrow," She sang, always encouraging me to give my best and live without any regrets.

"And when you wake up, I'll be waiting here. And I'll give you all of my love. And when you wake up, I'll be waiting here. And I'll love you for a whole life long," She finished, and I felt her lips press against the side of my head before she made sure my blanket was nice and snug around my body. Then I listened as her footsteps walked away, and I couldn't let her go without telling her.

"I love you, mummy," I mumbled sleepily, but I knew she heard as she gave a quiet reply before I heard the light switch flick off.

"I love you, too, Zayn. Always," She promised, and then I fell asleep, feeling safe and sound as the door to my room shut tightly.

Sadly, that peace didn't last long enough.

I heard my door open again later, and I opened my eyes sleepily, seeing that it was completely dark now-- there was no light outside from the backyard or anything. But maybe my mum forgot something.

"Mummy?" I questioned, but as I rubbed my eyes and let them adjust to the darkness, it was my father that I saw closing my bedroom door carefully. And I knew it was too late to pretend I was asleep since I already spoke.