Six: With The Wolves

I roughly drag my fingers through my hair for the hundredth time and begin rocking back and forth on the spot I was on in the forest. I had been here for what felt like an hour but I couldn't be sure. The damp from the ground was beginning to seep into me but I did not dare to move. I had to sort out my head first so I tried thinking about anything else. My parents came to mind as I pictured a sleepy Sunday morning eating brunch. Or perhaps just simply sleeping in with the sun beating down on me and the smell of French toast wafting up the stairs. The thought brings a smile to my face. Then it changes and I feel hands slip around my waist. I know the tingling feeling before I even look up into Alexander's eyes. He's so close that his breath fans across my face causing goosebumps to rise on the back of my neck. I try to shake it out of my head but it's like something is pushing the image to the front of my head. It's forcing me to think about it.

Suddenly I hear a howl and remember the giant wolves. Mark and Brian...they turned into them. I have the urge to scream again but that howl was dangerously close so I settle for panic. Pure and utter panic. I needed to run and now. I stand up and dust myself off. Sitting down for that long has brought the stiffness to my leg back though and the chill is truly settling into my exposed body. I pull the hood of my jumper back over my head and seek comfort from the warm scent.

Since I have no idea where I am or in which direction anything is, I settle for walking straight ahead. I cannot run because I am heaving just from walking. Running earlier must have opened some stitches or something because my leg is in absolute agony so I must settle for walking. My heavy pants push painfully against my ribs and I curse at myself for thinking a run was a good idea in my condition.

I walk for what must be about 15 minutes before I reach a clearing with a river. I'm exposed here but I won't survive for long without water and I don't know where the closest piece of civilisation is. The thought of escaping to a new place suddenly makes me feel sad and something pulls at me to turn around but I ignore it. I make my way over to the river and get onto my knees before scooping up some water in my hands. Just as I'm about to take a sip, I hear a dangerous growl from behind me. Somehow, I recognise the sound and don't panic. Instead, my body relaxes as I stand up and turn very slowly around.

Standing there is the biggest wolf I have ever imagined possible. It's pitch black with even darker eyes and it begins to growl lowly at me. For some inexplicable reason, I don't feel like I'm in any danger. It's possibly because I'm an idiot with a death wish. I don't feel like this massive beast will harm me. I feel like it will protect me. This feeling soon disappears when three other wolves come into the clearing. They're not as big as the black one but still bigger than any animal I've ever seen. The black wolf begins to look from me to the other wolfs and then growls at the other wolves. They stop in their tracks and bow their heads. I sigh in relief that they stopped.

The black wolf steps very slowly towards me and my heart rate actually begins to slow down the closer it gets. It keeps coming towards me until it's standing right in front of me and I have to look up at it ever so slightly. It then nuzzles its nose into my neck and tickles me so I let out an involuntary giggle. This makes the wolf's eyes lighten in colour slightly before it turns to its side and looks at me expectantly.

"If you expect me to sit on you then you can fuck off." The wolf growls at me slightly so I decided to stop trying to discuss something with an animal and just pull myself onto the top of this giant wolf. The fur is a lot softer than I expected and warmer too. As soon as my arms are wrapped as much as I can around the wolf's neck all of wolves begin to walk back in the way we came from. The warmth from the wolf seeps into me and I no longer feel the cold morning while holding onto this wild animal. I soon find my eyelids becoming heavy. I fight with all my will to stay awake since I have no idea if I will wake up again or if I am about to become someone's breakfast. But I cannot keep sleep at bay for much longer and eventually just give into the tempting pull of it.

I wake up completely at ease and find myself smiling. The horrible dream is over finally and even with my eyes closed I can feel the morning sunlight streaming into the room. My head is resting on a very muscular arm and another one is wrapped around my waist. It's so warm and cosy I can't help myself from turning around and snuggling into an equally muscular chest. I feel the arms tighten around me further as a kiss is planted on the top of my head. I giggle slightly before kissing his shoulder and sighing in contentment. The figure holding me vibrates slightly as what sounds like a low growl comes from deep in his chest. This familiar sound snaps me out of my trance and I look up to see Alexander's hooded eyes staring down at me. He looks at me hungrily as his eyes get darker. I want to lean in so badly that it scares me. Panic surges through me and I bolt upright before scrambling out of the bed. My foot catches on a blanket which causes my exit to result in me falling on the floor. My sudden change of pace catches him off guard and he just looks at me shocked. My body begins to shake as he gets out of the bed and crouches down beside me. He reaches out for me but I automatically pull away.

"Get away from me! What is this place? I can't think here. I..." I can't finish the sentence because I'm trying to settle my breathing but I can still smell Alexander. My body is still reacting to him and it's making it even more difficult to think.

"Sophie, please talk to me. I know I have a lot to explain and a lot that must seem crazy but you need to breathe." He looks at me in a panic. His eyebrows are furrowed and his eyes laced with worry. My chest aches to see him in pain and my hand reaches out subconsciously. Alexander seems unsure of it but remains still as my fingers lightly touch his cheek. The second my skin touches his I can feel electricity from it. Something in my stomach is pushing me forward and I don't understand why I trust this strange man. I lay my palm flat on his cheek and I can see him relaxing under my touch as a breath of relief escapes him. I can't help but breathe out a laugh at this simple gesture bringing so much calm to both of us. I start to run my thumb idly across his cheekbone which makes him he smile back at me and it is my undoing. It melts everything inside of me as I feel a rush of emotion in my chest. There is a whirring in my head and I feel dizzy so I retract my hand again. His smile drops and a coldness rushes through my body. I quickly stand up and feel a slight jolt of pain but less than I anticipated. He does the same but he is looking at me warily now.

"You're so cute when you're confused." I blurt out. Blood rushes to my face and my eyes widen as I cannot believe the words slipped from my mouth. He chuckles and it ignites a fire in my stomach.

"Thank you?" He replies amused. "I guess...I'm just unsure how to begin this conversation without..." he trails off as his face becomes more serious. "Without scaring you." His eyes connect with mine and I struggle to remember what he's talking about for a minute.

"The wolves?" I whisper while fear shudders through my body and I can feel goosebumps spreading across the back of my neck. He nods.

"Well, we're werewolves if you want to get technical about it." He shrugs nonchalantly as my stomach drops.

We?!