Four: Doctor's Orders

Alexander's POV

I still cannot believe I found my mate even now as I sit and look at her. I had her moved from the guest room to my bedroom so she'd be more comfortable and I could keep a closer eye on her. It's been very difficult to not crawl into the bed with her when I sleep but, not only is she injured, she hasn't met me yet. My wolf has been a whining mess since I found her because he doesn't care that she hasn't met me, he needs to comfort his mate. I lay beside her two days ago to help appease him but it only added fuel to the fire. I need to know her and soon. I only know her name from seeing her drivers' license for fuck sake. I raise her hand to my mouth and kiss it to help calm myself. It's so difficult to see her like this and not be able to do anything. If she was a werewolf then she would be able to sense my presence so it would actually help to hold her. But none of us have ever heard of a human mate before so no one knows what to do. My father promised to research more into it while I stayed bedside.

I stand up and stretch before pacing the room again. She's been unconscious for two weeks now and it's putting me on edge. Emily says she's improving much faster than is usual for a human but that doesn't ease my wolf at all. I sigh and look over at the sleeping angel feeling so useless. I'm just about to leave and go get some work done when something catches my eye. I look back and nothing seems to have changed. Did I imagine it? I step closer and keep my eye on her and then it happens again. She lifts her finger and my entire body tenses. Is she waking up or is it a twitch? I wait before getting my hopes up but before long all of her fingers are moving too and it looks like she's stretching her arms a little. I hold her hand lightly and start rubbing my thumb along her skin in the hopes she can feel that her mate is here. I keep seeing her slight movements as I raise her hand to my lips and gently press them to her hand. Her heart monitor spikes the second I do this and I can't help but laugh. She can definitely feel me.

"Emily! I think she's waking up. Come in, quickly." I shout for someone to come in. Emily generally stays close by when I'm visiting. I smile when it is her running in and rushing over to the bed.

"Would you mind giving me some room? I need to check her vitals." She says gently and I step back. My wolf whines but I shake it off. As excited as we both are at the prospect of movement, Emily needs to do her job. The heart monitor starts to speed up and my stomach sinks. I can't help but reach out and place my hand on her arm again as her heart rate continues to accelerate.

"No, stay back. I'm unsure if this is heart complications or..." Emily gently pushes me back as she silently mouths "a mate reaction." She's aware that she is stopping an Alpha from getting to his mate in their time of need but I understand. She lowers the bed while checking her temperature and knots her eyebrows in confusion. The heart monitor suddenly drops back to a normal rate and we both stare at it confused.

When I look back to the bed I realise she has opened her eyes. My heart starts to speed up now as she blinks quickly, adjusting to the light. She starts glancing around the room before looking at Emily and then moving her eyes onto me. They widen immediately and I know she feels the pull towards me. None of us were sure if the mate bond would work for a human but I can feel that it does. She feels something for me. We just simply stare at each other as I get lost in her icy blue eyes. I knew your mate was meant to be everything you ever wanted but I wasn't ready for how simply breath-taking she was, even injured. I can't help the smile that breaks out on my face as I begin to imagine finally having my mate to myself. Her monitor immediately speeds up again and I smirk. Oh yeah, this is definitely going both ways. Another spike makes Emily clear her throat and leave the room. I nearly forgot she was there for a second. I lick my lips as I imagine running my tongue down my mate's neck before marking her. She bites her lip nervously. My wolf lunges and I can't stop him this time.