Three: Mine

Alexander's POV

I am so done with this day. I've had back-to-back meetings all day to try and sort some issues with boundary lines. It's not a big deal but it's fucking tedious. I drag my hand through my hair as I take a sigh of relief. At least they're all done. I close my laptop and get up making sure to stretch since I've been sitting all day. I need to work out some of this frustration. I make a beeline from my office to my bedroom to change into some looser clothes to work out in. I could feel my wolf itching to get out and I needed a run as well. I was jogging down the stairs when all of a sudden Jack bursts through the door covered in blood.

"Alex, I'm sorry. I didn't know what to do so I just brought her here." He is breathless and panicked. Then I notice Mark walking in the door behind him carrying someone in his arms. It seems to be an unconscious girl who is dripping in blood.

"What did you do?" My entire body is tense and my voice clearly illustrates how angry I am. I stop once I'm toe-to-toe with Jack so I'm looking down on him. I only have a slight height advantage on him but he immediately drops his eyes for a second before bringing them back. I'm his Alpha so he has to show respect but being Beta, he has enough authority to be able to look back without permission. I mean, everyone has but not when I'm angry.

"We were out for a run and it was getting close to the start of our shifts." Jack begins to explain. Mark is shuffling on his feet. I don't know if he's nervous or if the girl is heavy. "So, we cut across a road." Jack says slowly. He knows we can't do that in wolf form in case of humans.

"And?" My wolf is on the edge. He disobeyed an order from me and now I have to clean up the mess.

"This girl," he beckons to the lifeless body, "was driving and crashed after seeing us. I pulled her out but she lost consciousness straight away. She's human and her injuries are really bad but I didn't want to risk bringing her to a hospital in case she started talking before I could get to her." Jack rushes through the explanation. I take a deep breath to help calm myself.

"Good. It's better we treat her here. Contain the damage. Go alert Emily. We'll need her." I say slowly to stop myself from yelling. I'm seething that he made such a stupid mistake but at least he handled it well. Jack nods and runs off. I step closer to Mark and I can smell the girl now. She reeks of blood but there's another sweet scent I can't quite put my finger on. "Bring her to the medical room. Try to put her away from any prying eyes. Tell everyone no shifting anywhere near her either." Marks nod and begins walking towards the east wing. My wolf lunges and I just about stop myself from shifting. What the hell was that? I shake my head and begin walking back up to my office. I guess the working day isn't done yet.

An hour later and the situation isn't as dire. I've called around to inform the more senior members of a possible human sighting. Her car was removed and brought here by Jack and Brian to contain any evidence. Apparently, it was full of suitcases and bags so she's new in town. Fortunately, she was driving through the middle of the woods so there weren't any witnesses. That's all the easy stuff done. Now we have to worry about what she remembers. If she saw three wolves, it's not easy or safe to explain. A few humans know from accidental sightings or trusted friends. But we try and keep it as secret as we can just in case we get a nervous blabber mouth. My father had to silence a few of those but I haven't and I'm really hoping that doesn't change tonight. My train of thought is interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Come in." I call while hopefully shutting my laptop for the last time tonight. Jack steps into my office and closes the door behind him. He's clearly extremely worried about my reaction.

"Alpha, I-" I raise my hand to stop him. His eyebrows furrow more. He's bracing himself for my yelling.

"Jack, calling me Alpha isn't necessary right now. I'm not angry." Relief is clear across his face and I almost laugh at how nervous my best friend is of me right now. Alpha or not, I've grown up with the man.

"Thank God! I really thought I had pushed you over the edge this time." He rubs the back of his neck embarrassed. I can't help but laugh.

"Nah. I mean I was mad when you first came in but everything is sorted now at least. Obviously, you guys did mess up but bringing her here was the right thing to do." I smile at him reassuringly and he lets out a breath while nodding. "How is she doing anyway?" My wolf lunges again but not strong enough to break out. I really needed to go for a run soon, my wolf has never been this restless.

"Not too well." Jack says sadly. "I got her out as soon as I could but she was in bad shape. She has a broken wrist, couple of cracked ribs, a pretty bad knock to the head, and she lost a lot of blood from the metal shard that went right through her thigh." I couldn't help but grimace. That's a lot for a human and if she dies this situation gets a lot more complicated. A growl forces its way out of me at that and Jack looks at me quizzically.

"Sorry, I haven't been for a run in three days and my wolf is restless. This added stress hasn't helped." I explain but I'm only guessing. I've gone this long without a run before and my wolf has never acted out this badly.

"Well the girl is resting now. Emily removed all the metal, stitched her up, and washed all the blood off. Bandages are applied and the cast on her wrist is set. So, there's nothing left to be done for now but wait. If you want to go for a run now, I don't mind holding down the fort?" He raised an eyebrow. I jumped up immediately and slapped his shoulder.

"Thank you, I'd really appreciate it." I basically run out of my office and I could hear Jack laugh behind me. I was way too desperate to go for a run to say no. My wolf has never been this eager to get out. I went downstairs and out the back of the house through the kitchen. The pack house is surrounded by woods so it wasn't long before I shifted and was sprinting through them.

I ran as fast as I could for about an hour. I stayed close to the house though because my wolf kept whining when I got too far away. I had no idea what was wrong with it. I had tired myself out anyway so now I could maybe sleep off this mood he had. I shifted back just outside the back door and walked back into the kitchen towards the fridge to grab a bottle of water. Emily came into the room as I was closing the fridge.

"Alpha." She nodded and smiled. "You look exhausted. You should really get some more sleep." She tuts and shakes her head. I can't help but laugh. Emily is my mom's best friend so she feels like an aunt to me which is lucky for her since she gets so much enjoyment out of teasing me.

"Thanks Emily." I chuckle. "How's our patient?" Something stirs in my stomach.

"She's better actually. I've stopped all the bleeding and the rest is doing her well. Vitals are good. It's always harder to tell with humans since they're so delicate but I think she'll be okay." She smiles. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh, thank God. Explaining a dead human would have been difficult." I just about suppress the growl my wolf tries to push out that time. Obviously, my run wasn't long enough but I'm too tired for another one. "Any sign of her waking up?"

"As I said, it's harder to tell with humans but I was just about to check on her again if you want to join?" Emily raises an eyebrow and I nod. We make our way out of the kitchen and towards the east wing.

"Where did Mark put her?" I inquire since Emily doesn't seem to be stopping.

"I hope you don't mind but we put her in a guest room at the end of the hall to avoid run ins with anyone. It's basically a makeshift hospital room with all the equipment I had to move in." She chuckles as she pushes open the door for me. I nod in thanks and step through. The second I do I smell the sweetest thing in the world. It's a mixture of dark chocolate and raspberries. My wolf is rejoicing at the smell and I feel a warmth crawl over me. I immediately start walking towards the scent and push back the curtain to see a sleeping angel covered in bruises. My mate. I've found her. I let out an involuntary growl.

"Mine." I say as a smile crosses my face.