Five: Run

I shake my head and look around my surroundings again. There is no way this is a hospital because it is way fancier than my insurance has ever gotten me before and this is not my first car accident. A sudden fear creeps up. What if the accident is being hidden because it wasn't accidental? I try to steady my breath at the thought. I'm in no state to worry about that right now. I look down and wince at my injuries. My left wrist is in a green cast and I feel like I have bruises everywhere else. My left thigh feels tightly bandaged and I remember the stitches Emily mentioned. I try to sit up but immediately wince at the pain that spikes through my ribs. I pull the cord out of the suction cups attached to me so the heart monitor can't betray me again. It goes silent immediately and I pause a moment to make sure no one was listening. Nothing stirs so I pull off the blankets and instantly regret it as it's freezing without them. I look down at my clothes and see I'm wearing a man's t-shirt that is much too big on me and a pair of boxers. I'm in men's clothing and no underwear? I spot the bandages on my thigh but no obvious bruising which is surprising. Still won't be fun to walk on but I need to get up. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and slowly rise to my feet. My thigh screams at every inch I move it but it has to be done. I have to leave. Every movement felt like I was being hit by a train but I forced myself to continue. Now, to take a step. I decided to start with moving my right leg. Then I pulled my right. Okay, that's not that bad.

I gave a quick glance around at the three doors in the room. I walked across to the singular one across from me but it was an ensuite bathroom. I was about to close the door again when the lights flickered on automatically and I came face to face with my own reflection and gasped. I looked much better than I expected. I had a small cut on my cheek which appeared to already be healing. There seemed to be a cut running along my collarbone. My short blonde hair was clean-ish so I'm assuming I was washed at some point which is a somewhat violating feeling. When I take a step closer I see that my left eye has a popped blood vessel and the red makes the blue of my eyes stand out. Other than that, I looked fine. My pale skin bruises like a peach so I'm honestly shocked I look this normal for an over-turned car. Shit, I have no idea what they did with my car. This escape plan may be flawed.

I shift my gaze from my reflection to the room that surrounded me. There was a massive corner bath, big enough to fit three people I say. But also a really nice looking shower and a double basin sink. The walls and floor were tiled with a light brown tile and the whole room was just warm as I realised there was floor heating in here. I shook my head and walked back out of the room. Next door then.

This one was a walk-in closet but I had to turn on the light in here. Half of it was empty but the other half was filled with men's clothes. A scent hit me as soon as I stepped into the room. It was a warm scent that seemed to be a mixture of the woods, cinnamon and something indecipherable. Just powerful and strong somehow. I'm not sure why but my body seemed to be perfectly content with just staying in here surrounded by this scent. I shake my head. But I will steal some clothes, I'm freezing. I opened the middle drawer beside me and found a giant black jumper so I pulled in on. It reached my middle thigh and covered the boxers. I pulled the hood over my head and was hit with the scent again. I almost moaned. At a smell. What? I shake my head again before leaving the closet. I'm losing it.

Okay, third door is the charm. I open the door I see the back of a giant man who seems to be standing in a hallway. Am I being guarded? The man turns around and I tense.

"Ah, Sophie you're awake," he smiles warmly at me. "You're not looking too shabby considering. Everything okay?" I panic at being caught leaving so I laugh awkwardly to try and brush it off.

"How do you know who I am? We haven't been introduced." I fake confusion. It works because he laughs.

"You're right, we haven't been introduced but I'm Jack. I made sure to get your name as soon as I could. It's not every day you pull a girl from a burning car," He laughs. "I must thank you for that actually. My girlfriend has been majorly turned on by my heroics since." He smirks and I can't help but blush.