Side story: Doubts (1)

One day:

'Who...is (Name) talking too?'

Shōto asked himself, as he slowly walked towards the bench you sat at. As he got closer he noticed a small boy sitting right next to you, his eyes wet and nose red as if he had been crying. You affectionately patted his head, smiling at him and talking. After a while, he glanced up at you and grinned. Whatever you were telling him was working, because he was wiping away his tears and giggling. You giggled with him, patting his shoulder afterward.

Shōto could now somehow hear what you two were saying, specifically the little boy who was now excitedly yelling.

"I'll grow up to be strong one day so that you can marry me instead of Shōto!"

Shōto froze on the spot when he heard that, his face getting dark. 'Is this kid being serious?'

"Hahaha! Well, I don't know about that. I'll be pretty old by then and I have my heart set on Shōto." You chuckled out.

"Well...I can change your mind! You like him because he is really powerful right? and rich?! I'll be even more rich and powerful than him."

You shook your head at him, holding both your hands up and crossing them as if saying 'wrong'. "I don't love him because he's powerful or rich. He just happened to have that included. I love him because he listens to me rant and complain. He's patient when I'm moody and upset. He asks if I'm feeling okay when I look sad or if something is on my mind. For crying out loud I'm a fish out of the water. But..."

A giant cheesy smile appeared on your face, "I'm just truly happy when I'm around him."

Shōtos eyes widened at the reasons you gave why you liked him. To be honest, he always wondered what you saw in him as well. He did tell you that if he wasn't what you wanted you could leave. But you've stayed with him for almost a year and a half, which caused the question of 'what do you like about me' to pop up in his mind.

He always thought of himself as serious and somewhat...boring. It was hard for him to tell jokes, not to mention understand them. He never saw the punchline. He never got along well with people. Hell, it took him a while to get close with his classmates at U.A.

This was his first real relationship with a woman and he didn't want to screw up anything. He tried his best to be attentive and he tried to show you affection in any way he could. The truth is, he had never felt so attached to someone and if you one day decided you didn't want to be with him he would be devastated.

The boy blinked twice at you, "I see. Then, I'll have to become a better person than him," he gazed at you with a wide smile, "Shoto must like (Nam) because she is kind and doesn't care about his image."

You mirrored his grin, "haha I hope so!"

"Well I have to go now, my mom is probably looking for me. Just wait for me okay!" He quickly ran off, turning back to wave before running again.

Shōto grinned at the kid, making his way to you. You glanced at him and smiled, "Shoto! Did you just get here?"

He sat next to you, hand reaching forward to grasp yours. "I've been here for a while. I have a rival now I suppose."

"D-did you hear everything!" your face turned red when he stared into your eyes and nodded.

"I did. I had been asking myself lately why you haven't left me and now I have the answer. Also,"

Shōto looked off to the side in thought, tapping his chin, "Now I have to get stronger as well and become a better person if I want to beat that kid. Already he seems to outshine me, in some way or another."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing..." Shōto shook his head, "who was that boy anyway?"

"Oh, I ran into him as I was waiting here. He was crying because someone said he was weak. I explained to him that he may be weak now but when he gets older he'll be strong. Ah, that kid's quirk is actually quite amazing."

You tapped your chin, "he's going to grow up to be cool. Yes, I can see it." You mumbled out, "however,"

You raised a hand to caress his cheek, smiling gently and gazing into his eyes.

"Don't worry, he doesn't outshine you. No one can."

Shōtos shoulders relaxed after that, he placed his hand on top of yours, rubbing his cheek more into the palm of your hands and smiling. Then, he kissed your hand, gazing at it with half-kissed eyes.

"You're always so gentle and warm, (Name)."

"I love you."

A/N: I only got two months left here in Japan ahhhhh

やばいね