chapter 1

johnny's p.o.v.

"hello! i'm johnny, i'm new to l.a., and i really don't want to be here but my mom forced me, so here i am!" i greeted my new classmates, smiling. i saw nobody that i really liked. just douchebags, and girls that loved drama. except one girl. one girl really caught my eye. she wasn't looking at us, just at her paper, drawing something.

"well, orlando, we're working on a class project and everyone here has a partner except mackenzie over there, so go sit next to her." the teacher stated, pointing at the girl who i was just staring at. mackenzie. i liked that name.

i looked at her art, and it was a beautiful sunflower, with rain falling in the back. "ooh, nice drawing. what's your inspiration?" i asked, leaning down. she shoved me away, making everyone flinch. everyone but me. she didn't faze me. i saw right through her. "i am mackenzie ziegler. you do not touch me, talk to me, and most importantly, you don't look at me. got it?" she claimed furiously, and i nodded.

i took the seat next to her. i couldn't help but stare at her features. her gorgeous brown eyes, cute dimples. stunning long brown hair, beautiful lips. suddenly, a gasp. from everyone in the room. i looked up from mackenzie's lips to see what all the trouble was. it was me. and mackenzie. mackenzie had turned to me and was looking at me angrily, and everyone was acting like i was dead meat or something. "i said, you do not look at me!" she shouted, crumpling her fists.

"mackenzie ziegler, that's enough!" the teacher demanded from the front, making mackenzie even madder. "excuse me?" she exclaimed. thats how she ended up being sent in the office.

throughout the class, "um, miss? may i go to the bathroom?" i asked, and she nodded, continuing her lesson. i sped walked to the office, watching from the outside. mackenzie was one of those chairs that you wait in to go see the principal. suddenly, she looked up. oh crap. "go away!" she shouted, hiding her face. she was crying! i knew it! she wasn't mean, she was just hurt.

i walked away quickly, processing what had just happened.

as i put my new books away in my locker, a girl with ginger-like hair and some freckles approached me. "hi, johnny! i'm nadia." she greeted, smiling. she was pretty, but she didn't fool me. she was like any other girl. wanted to be the first to break up with a boy just so she can brag about it. "hello, nadia. you need anything?" i asked, closing my locker. "no. well- except coffee, with you, at 6?" she offered, making me feel bad. i didn't really know how to say no.

"i'd love to! but we just moved in and i've got a lot to do. plus, we've already gotten so much homework from just first period, imagine how much more i'll have. i'm so sorry, though. maybe another time." i made up, and she smiled sadly. "of course, johnny!" she joyfully agreed, moving onto another boy. lord, can she not go a day without a date?

as i waited for the bell to ring, i tapped my foot, waiting for the mysterious and scary mackenzie ziegler to come out. when she did, everyone backed away. people were quiet, and looked terrified.

———————

kenzie's p.o.v.

i walked past everybody. besides that new johnny kid. he had no idea who he was messing with. everybody flinched. as i approached the new kid, i stomped my foot hard, but no movement. just a smile and a chuckle that said "this is funny". did he think this was some sort of joke? it wasn't!

i had just been sent home. better than a suspension. as i sat in the passenger seat of the car, i listened to my moms lecture. "why, mackenzie? why? your father will be so disappointed in you, and-"

"he's not my father!" i cut her off, snapping. "relax, mackenzie. he's a good person." she claimed. "a good person that hits his wife and kids? yeah, that's such a good person!" i sarcastically said, kicking my seat.

when we got home, i basically jumped out of the car, slamming the door. i ran upstairs as soon as i was home, not wanting to hear another lecture from my "father." and not wanting any more bruises.

i prepared myself for the usual. breaking glass, screaming, maddie coming home, maddie crying, me comforting her, me not crying in front of anyone, me crying in the shower, me crying myself to sleep. every night i'd hope for a difference. i'd think "maybe one day, someone will save me" for a second, and then doubt it for the rest of the night. i'd cry and cry, and then act all tough when people talked to me. of course, i was just mean to others. to others, i had a great life, and hated everyone for no reason.

soon, maddie did come home. and she did cry. she opened my room door. i rolled my eyes. "arguing yet again, are they? what a surprise." i said for the 200000th time in my life, acting like i didn't hear them arguing all this time. i held out my arms, for the 400000th time in my life, hugging maddie as she cried into me. she would then say "goodnight, little sis," for the 500000th time in her life, and walk out of my room and into hers. then i'd turn in the steaming hot water of the shower and cry in there for the 80000th time, sighing and trying not to have a panic attack.

i'd cry myself to sleep in my pajamas for the last time so far since the beginning of my life, and fall asleep with tears on my face.

[980 words]

———————

hi, this is a new book, obviously. i'm gonna finish my other one before continuing this, but i think you guys will like it. :)