chapter 10

johnny's p.o.v.

i slammed the fridge after aggressively grabbing a bottle of water from it, mad and sad at the same time.

"what's with you? i thought you and mackenzie got back together." lauren stated,
grabbing some toast.

"hey, that's mine!" i whined. she rolled her eyes, biting it.

"we did get back together." i said quietly, sipping my water.

"then why're you so down?" she questioned.

"gosh, why don't you just shine a flashlight in my eyes, detective?" i shouted, not realizing i overreacted until after.

she laughed, looking for pop tarts in the cupboard. which, in fact, was mine too.

"i just had a bad dream, that's all." i claimed.

"what are you, 5? you don't get grumpy over bad dreams anymore, john. what's really going on?" she asked, looking annoyed.

"fine. since mackenzie broke up with me, i don't want to become to dependent on her yet. i really liked her, and i don't want her to break my heart again. so, i'm trying not to get too close. the thing is, she's acting like she doesn't care! she agreed to leaving!" i complained, and lauren giggled.

"what's so funny?" i asked, raising an eyebrow.

"you're mad at her for agreeing with you? johnny, she obviously wants to stay with you, but she doesn't want to seem clingy. when girls are even an inch of clingy, people call them crazy. but when boys are, people say it's normal. ugh, sexism." she groaned.

"i didn't complain to you for you to complain back. any more advice?"

"i already told you. she does want to stay, but she doesn't want to seem clingy. she's probably sad now, so maybe go apologize? i don't know, she's your girlfriend, not mine!" she stated.

"thanks, lauren. tell mom i'm next door if she comes home from work early for once." i said, quickly getting off of my seat.

i sped walk out the front door, thinking about what to say to kenzie.

————————————————

i took a deep breath, repeated how i'd say "hi", and pressed my finger onto the doorbell.

"ding."

mackenzie's older sister, maddie, answered the door.

"hey, maddie!" i greeted, smiling,

"my sister told me what you did, johnny- oh, crap, i wasn't supposed to say that. forget what i said, please." she whispered.

mackenzie told her sister about what i did? was it really that bad?

i pretended to chuckle, trying not to seem sad. i walked upstairs, knocking on kenzie's door.

she opened it and looked up at me.

"what?" she asked, crossing her arms.