Part 7

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at nights

-Edgar Alan

"Brother....."the cave that was bright with the sunlight in the morning was now enclosed in complete darkness of a new moon night, and it was hard to tell if it were simply the surrounding or it were the thoughts of the occupants that had layerd the world with a haze of gloom. "I am sorry...." Maya murmured. "I am sorry too." Mohini followed but their elder brother did not reply. Who sat at the edge of the rocky terrain looking over the entrance.

Meghraj hadn't come back. And there were two equally probable chances. Either he had been successful in escaping the bloodhounds looking for them and reached home or......He had fallen prey in their hands and must be locked away somewhere being beaten up for information.
"Brother!"Maya cried. "Don't act as though you can't here us! We are sorry! Do you hear us- WE are sorry!" Nair sighed, only his sisters could do this - hollering out their 'sorry' in the most insincere manner and expect others to come running to them accepting their apology as if it were a big mercy on them.

"Humm...."He said no more. He have no patience left for them.

"What humm?" One of the girls scooted closer to him. "Say something! We said we are sorry and you said 'humm' pray tell me what is that even supposed to mean?" He did not reply, these little devils are incorrigible, spoilt brats!

"Say something!" This time it was the other one who tried to shake her brother awake by his shoulders but in vain since he was too heavy. "Why aren't you talking to us? And-and sitting here on your own, all sad and gloomy? "
"You are acting like your wife had just divorced you and left!"
"Don't be so disheartened! He was just a silly boy!"

"What do you both want?" Nair sighed frustratedly.

"It's so dark in here!" For the first time in his life he heard the voice of one of his sisters quavering. He turned around instantly, 'Are they afraid?' In the darkness he can't see much but two silhouettes huddled together, near him. "And I am hungry." His heart thawed. He was being too harsh wasn't he? Granted, they are always up to some mischief who have people's grey matter as breakfast and their patience and sanity for lunch.
They were still his sisters and it was his responsibility to keep them safe and happy. "Just a few hours more and we will be leaving for home." He assured them, when he felt someone leaning on him. It was Mohini. He can't see her face in the darkness but he knew it was her. 'call it a brother's initiation' He hugged her closer.

"Why a few hours later and why not now?"

"Because in a few hours it would be midnight and safer for us." He told her and they did not complain.

"And what about Meena? Can we take her home with us?"Maya asked sitting on the other side of her brother, laying her head on his shoulder.