Part 16

"life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got!"

-Anonymous

"

Anyway, now come along so that we can save Nair from further sleepless nights and give you your rightful place in HIS chamber!"

"But I can't promise if you are going to get any sleep at all tonight!" Neela winked watching Meenakshi's paling face.

"No I..." Meena took a step back out of fear, her mind whirling at 10 different direction all at the same time. 'God, please no! Please don't let something like this happen! No!' She gulped down the bile that had risen to her throat along with the fat tears that clung stubbornly at the back of her lashes, but it was getting harder and harder in keeping up the pretense with each passing moment.

"No what Meena?" Queen Neela prodded.

"I mean it's not necessary....I...can...I mean..."She stuttered aimlessly at the loss of words.

A partial smirk appeared on Neela's face. Her plan had indeed worked, she just needs to bear patience until it bores fruit. The truth must be coming out any moment now! A little more pressure and this little meek mouse would deny to have any relation with that prince whatsoever and then it would be entirely in her hands to manipulate that news whichever way she wants. If she works a little harder she could even produce a case of political instability in Bundi, a public revolt against the throne and who knows it may even overthrow the current rulers with an golden opportunity of capture in her husband's lap. And the defame and disgrace it would bring on these people will be the cherry on the top of course!

"I swear I can even give you a few tips for tonight."Meenakshi forcefully heaved down tonight's dinner that was about to splatter out, hearing those meaningful glances and words.
She took two deep breaths, preparing herself for the backlash she is going to receive after doing what she should have done a long while ago.

"Come along Meena. What is keeping you there standing?"

"I cannot go to his room!" Surprisingly, her voice was completely calm and smooth as she said those words.

"Why? What's wrong Meena?"The ladies by then had turned around to look at her and while Aunt Chameli looked concerned Queen Neela was rejoicing her approaching victory with a smirk on her face.
"What is it Meenakshi? Don't be afraid! Tell us..."

'It was time!' It was time to end this charade Meenakshi knew because while the act she put up this evening as his bride was wrong, it would be a sin to go on with this any longer!

"I would like to talk to my daughter-in-law for a moment if you both don't mind." And the tigress was back.
"Queen Lekha!"Neela half smiled half sneered while greeting because while she needs to be polite to the Queen, she was beyond angry at the woman responsible for her failing plan!

So the whole royal family of Bundi was guarding this secret with their lives? Weren't they? Keeping an eye on this woman every moment!?
'Damn her!' She cursed, watching as Queen Lekha left from their presence with the little minx Meena at her toes.

'God knows what they will come up with next to cancel the wedding!' She Scoffed internally. The wheels of her mind running at a double speed. But whatever their plan might be, she is going to coax the truth out of them no matter what! Neela promised herself, something she meant to keep.

~☆☆~

Meenakshi by then was once again walking on a familiar trek. No! The palace was too big for her to remember it's every pathway, but this specific corridor was etched into her mind from the first night she spent here. She knew where they were heading. The King's study once again.

And true to her fears, a moment later they were standing in front of the familiar gold carved door of the study. It was something ominous, she could feel it in her bones. Bringing her here in the middle of the night could never mean something good.

Now fidgeting nervously standing outside the closed doors with the mute queen by her side was nothing compared to actually getting inside those doors and face the King of Bundi and the crowned prince. When both of them looked up at her and neither of those gazes could me termed as soft.

They were in the middle of a heated argument, Meenakshi could swear on it, because the four walls of the study seemed suffocating like never before with the tension so thick like a blanket around them.

The king cleared his throat and Meenakshi could already fathom what was coming next. 'They wanted her to leave this palace. Didn't they?' Well as such she had prosed enough problems for them to end up a life time even if she didn't do all that deliberately. The least she can do now for herself and her left self-respect was to leave on her own and not to wait for these royalties to kick her out.

"I am not going to apologize for something I didn't do." Surprisingly second time this evening her voice was steady, she wasn't shivering or nervous. "I didn't create this lie of a marriage in the first place, but I understand that i had become a target of some sort dragging Prince Nair along with me and I understand that you all will want me to vacate this palace now. Perhaps, that can resolve all the disputing issues." She was looking down on the floor, oblivious to the ongoing change in expression of the rest three people in the room, but she carried on anyway, trying to end it with as much dignity as possible. "So, please excuse me! I will leave now!"

She turned away swiftly, her eyes still fixated at the floor as she took measured steps one after another, the threshold just withing her reach when she heard the King's voice. "Now that was the first point I wanted to tell you, That you cannot leave!"

"What?" She stopped. she turned. she looked and amazingly she was the only stunned person in the room. The queen and the Prince knew what was going on.

"But...w-why?" She queried, blood pumping to her head at the highest speed.

"And now that's the second point- you cannot leave because you have to get married to my son!"