Part 23

Sometimes even the bravest of heroes require rescuing.

- (Married for three nights)

There was a long distance between Meenakshi and him, yet he had no problem detecting the droplets of moisture hanging around her long lowered eyelashes. 'Why? Why are you doing this? Why try to save me from falling when I am already so deep down in the uncertain waves of love?'

His mother squeezed his arm tight as soon as Meena spoke. "Thank the lord at least the widow have some sense of loyalty. "

"Well she certainly made things a lot easier." Megh pointed out. "Now that, there would be no faux wedding, and no relict woman to have as a wife..... just let it all flow at it's own pace. "

"By let it all flow at it's own pace, you mean throw her to the wolves and let them tatter her into pieces!" Nair scoffed, finding his voice back somewhere in those pair of lucid eyes that had now been lowered in indignity as the shaming continued, the voracious herd of wild animals out for her blood!

"I have to stop this!" For a moment or two Meghraj dumbly looked at him before gripping his shoulders tightly at the sight of his friends determined expression. "Nair don't act nonsensically! I don't think they will actually hang her-"

"Nair where are you?!- stop!" His mother's screeching voice didn't stop him anymore neither did Meghraj's grip on his shoulder, that he effortlessly shrugged away and continued on his way.
And the jeering crowd stilled as they found the prince himself walking upto his fraud cheat of a wife.

And no sooner than he had stepped forth, he felt numerous pitying gazes coming his way but instead of waiting and pondering for a possible solution to all of this, he stepped right in front of her. His Meena!

The fire had been lit long ago when the twins lied, had been stirred and stroked by Chameli chacchi into something far more potent danger than it originally had been and now that it had been exposed to the vast expanse of forest, with unlimited source of fuel.....it was supposed to burn!
And while the flames will raise high and up, he will do what he is supposed to do, protect his woman!

"Step aside Nair, let us men deal with her....such kind of lowly woman deserves to be-"

"No!" His voice was thunderous and deafening so much so that it had everyone taking a step back.

"No one will speak another vile or dishonarable word against Meena...Or I dare him to clash with me first and confront her over my corpse." While on one side his roaring thunderous voice and rigid stance, did happen to shut people off his woman, it also evoked another kind of ruckus, solely and solely against him this time!

Queen Neela wasn't able to seal off the smile of satisfaction that creeped on her face as she watched the prince ploughing his own grave. If luck had indeed chose a side, it's definitely her's tonight and she would be damned if failed to hammer the final nail in the coffin now that the funeral progressing had already started.

"Wait a moment Prince Nair, are you indeed taking side of that-of that.....street walking whore? Forgive me if I say so but it does not seem to make any sense..... except if you knew her real identity all along...and married her nevertheless. "

"I said DON'T speak another dishonarable word about her! " His roar reverberated through the space as he stood clenching and un-clenching his fist in utter fury.