Part 18

"La Reina" ("The Queen") - Pablo Neruda

I have named you queen.
There are taller than you, taller.
There are purer than you, purer.
There are lovelier than you, lovelier.
But you are the queen.

When you go through the streets
No one recognizes you.
No one sees your crystal crown, no one looks
At the carpet of red gold
That you tread as you pass,
The nonexistent carpet.

And when you appear
All the rivers sound
In my body, bells
Shake the sky,
And a hymn fills the world.

Only you and I,
Only you and I, my love,
Listen to me.
~

~♡♡~

"I am sorry my love! I am so-so sorry! But please don't leave me like this!" He spoke loud enough for everyone in their vicinity to hear.

'Yes, there were going to be so many stories and rumours by the dawn of the next day but he had hence made sure that they will all be nice and romantic!'
In a blink of an eye Meena tore herself away from the prince and staggered a few steps back as she realized what he had just done.
He had portrayed them as a real husband and wife and as if they had a row and that was why she was leaving!
Yes, she was shocked, he could tell from her widened eyes and parted lips but what he couldn't tell was about the deep crimson blush that painted her cheeks right at that moment. The unfortunate darkness had concealed it well from his prying eyes.

He didn't say anything. He couldn't find anything to say to her except to keep on heaping apologies after apologise for all that she was going through because of him.

And he just added one more to that list by creating another scandal, involving her!
After high, always came the low and as the adrenaline rush in his blood dropped low, following that close encounter with his soon to be wife, he was drowned by the guilt for doing, what he did!

'Darn!' He ran his fingers through his wild messy locks. 'And what excuse did he have for embracing her? Besides of course, that he wanted to do it?'

The pang of guilt increased a double fold when he analysed his own silent thoughts. 'Darn! Darn! Darn! He wanted her intimately! The first woman he wanted for himself.......was wife of another man!'

He looked away from the widow into the strangely comforting oblivion of the darkness for a second.
The gaurds have gone back to their duty at the assigned locations, pretending as if they had seen nothing and the couple standing behind them are non-existent. 

But they won't be non-existent for much longer. In a week or two they won't be strangers anymore! And she won't be a widow any longer!

'She would be his wife both for the world and for him!' He closed his eyes for a second. There was no doubt at all about the way he was allured to her charishma and desired her like no other. But he had denied himself of acceptance because he always saw her as a widow. A wife of another man! And that had felt immensely immoral and unethical.
'But how longer was he going to hold it over her?'

He had already accepted his feelings for her, so why does accepting her as his wife seemed so hard?
'Why? Because her body had been used before?'
He cringed at his own thoughts!

'This was so disgusting! Yet, this was truth!'

Wasn't it one of those un-written....never spoken rules of the society that he had came to accept silently without question?

"Meena " He murmured when he looked back at her dipped head. "Please come with me?" He didn't care anymore that the guards might be listening again and that he was almost begging to her.
"Please?"
And he could never explain in words how gratefully relieved he felt when he saw her nodding and following behind him back into the palace.
He suddenly had a urge to pick up her downfallen face and clasp her soft cheeks in his palms and...and....

'Nah!' He would rather save those thoughts for the time they will be actually married.
Yes! He was decided. He was decided that he was going to marry her. And truly accept her as his better half for the rest of his life.

Beyond the necessity for them to get married, he wasn't letting any disgusting notions put forth by the society to ruin what he felt for Meena.
'His soon to be wife!'

~♡♡~

There was silence throughout the way but now that they had reached in front of her chamber and both their feet had came to a standstill, something was ought to be said! Nair wanted to tell her that he sees more in her, that he actually fancies her. Perhaps that would change her mind about this marriage, change her mind about leaving!
But even before he can open his mouth to utter the first syllable, he heard the unmistakable sound of his mother.  The world wide known sound of interruption. Yes, she cleared her throat.

"Nair let us go! I have something to talk about...." Queen Lekha shifted her icy glares from the woman beside to him and he said. 'There it is again.....the tell tale....something to talk about!'

"Fine!" He sighed and left Meena behind as he walked away with his mother but little did he knew he was walking straight  into his worst nightmare.
Only if he knew that his mother had seen everything transpiring at the gates from her private veranda.

I don't know why but I like this story more than the thirst of power but my readers tend to disagree! Perhaps because the male protagonist here isn't a bad boy, arrogant, cocky prince and a perfect caring, loving gentleman ?
Donno but thanks for reading. Please vote and comment if the chapter took your fancy.
XxD
Shravani