Part 34 B

"Go on, talk to her." Someone nudged him forward and Meghraj looked behind to find the twins standing behind him in the grab of maids and all he wanted to do was grab and twist their necks like ropes.
But reminding himself that he was doing this for his best friend Nair, he started a conversation anyway.

But it wasn't where all went wrong. No! Despite how much Meghraj wanted to bolt, he didn't.
As an honour to his friendship to Nair, he sat there charming the heck out of the large lady.

"So, your highness have you ever been hunting?" It took her a moment to turn her almost invisible neck and then she looked at him with her little eyes and smiled. All in all a gumy smile since the front two tooth were missing and the expression in those eyes made Megh shiver internally because it felt like she was thinking of chewing him off ,raw. And considering her size it won't take her more than two bites.
Megh gulped again before she replied.

"Yea, I w-ave  been w- unting once or twice Wii my w-rother, w-he killed a deer and made its kawabs, it was dw- licious. Yum!" She closed her eyes and licked her lips as if remincing those kababs in her mind and then she opened her eyes and snapped her fingers in front of a guard. "Go w- ing me some kewabs."

He listened enraptured and then he looked behind him where the twins stood posing as maids,  watched them laughing silently.
And he wondered how much time would it take him to reach for their necks and choke them to death.

"The princess is quite special." They had told him while explaining the plan and he hadn't asked anymore. Now he knew her speciality was stuttering and the only interest she had was in eating.
He closed his eyes quickly and counted to ten before starting the conversation anew. "So, uh...is there a special occasion tonight for these festivities?" He asked.
"No its a sati dah ce-we-mony my uncle's w-youngest Meena is to be burnt to send her to we-heaven." The princess replied and Megh wondered how screwed up can one be to murder someone in cold blood and then announce it like some festive ceremony to celebrate it. He watched the new king who was talking to a bunch of soldiers who kept glimpsing at him sideways with a murderous glint.
Megh ignored him and continued to chat about meaningless things with the princess for a long time before he came to the centre of his investigation.

"So, where is she?" He asked " your uncle's widow, is she in the palace or will she be bought here from somewhere else?"

"She's in the palace." Like a gullible little girl the princess answered without any inhibition.
"I am sure she is in a heavily guarded prison cell, isn't she? After all the way she escaped last time..." Meghraj prodded and the princess answered just like he had expected.
"Nuh-uh she isn't in pw-ison, she is w-on the last w-room on the east wing."

In a swift movement, Megh deliberately leaned back and looked at the twins from under his lashes and muttered. "You heard her, last room, east wing."
"Now, GO!" they needed no further motivation as Maya sprang into immediate action and ran back to her brother to let him know about Meena's location. So, the final part of the plan can be bought to action.

Mohini and Meghraj stood there, watching her leave.

"I hope that I don't regret doing it." Suddenly, Meghraj murmured and heard Mohini laughing in return. "Trust me princi you won't regret anything because if everything goes according to plan, we will be out of here within an hour and if anything goes wrong you won't be alive to regret a thing."

It had been quarter of an hour since Maya had  left. There was soft cool air blowing around, there was festivity and jubilation to enjoy and there were kababs to eat but instead Meghraj sat there sweating like a goat to be sacrificed next and he felt like that for the next many moments to come.
It felt like eons before he heard Mohini's soft wishper - her words falling like soothing water upon his burning insides.

"They are here - I can see them in the left corridor. Maya, Nair along with Meenakshi. Yes! We did it - she's safe! ....now all we need to do is to get out of here."

And that was the moment when everything went straight to hell.

If the chapter took your fancy please vote and comment!