Part 4: Unfazed

My right hand fist was badly swollen. It was still painful and sore. The nurse at the dispensary examined it carefully while applying some powder. The look on her face told close to nothing on the swelling. She was beautiful alright but she didn't struggle to show it. She didn't seem to realize it either. I helped,

"You look hot"

Her face twisted unbelievingly forming a maze of wrinkles on her forehead. Ok for a mama her age this only added to her library of compliments. I mean i was doing her a favour citing beauty at such age.

"Did you just say hot?" She quipped curiously. Damn right yeah that's what i said miss Jane Doe.

"Yeah sure,it's hot in here,don't you guys have fans or something?" I tried sarcasm ignoring her expectations. This almost annoyed her as she inconsequentially bandaged my hand and left to attend to another person. Unapologetic, i walked out of the dispensary sneering at my mischief. I had poked an unrealizing woman. It sounded fun.

"Hey bro,were you fighting zombies behind our backs" James joked at my bandaged hand. He was in bed with some girl i hadn't seen before. They must have had some time together as she looked spent.

"Just a minor accident bro" I lied.

In actual sense my wound had developed from knocking with my fist hard on the door of Lisa's room. I had been incensed by the guy's guts and i had intended to knock him out but was late as the fist met the closing door behind me. They had left oblivious of the situation. The other girls had squeaked loudly at my act. Colliah had offered to look at my hand but i had dismissed her and walked out with rage.
The story must be trending now. I mused.

"Doesn't look like a minor accident to me but i will respect your situation right now and maintain my cool" He said smirking.

"It's better that way" I said.

I lay on my bed face up resting my head on my forearms. My mind wallowed back to her. Typically, i was supposed to forget about her especially after seeing her guy but this wasn't happening. It only strengthened my resolve to get her whatever the cost. In some way this girl was gaining my full attention despite her slippery nature. Her trying to avoid me only made it irresistible to me to make a move. The incident at her room had hurt me alright but i wasn't disheartened.

My obsession for her had got me flouting the clique's rules. My activity had reduced and they had started wondering what was happening to me. I had brushed them off with a-person-needs-rest comeback. This hadn't convinced them but had at least bought me time to figure out my situation. I was getting caught up in a web and i felt tied. Was i really in love with her? I hadn't thought of this before and realization began hitting me for the first time. It sounded incredible. I had never loved before.

Images of her flashed through my mind. I figured her in a sexy outfit. She was walking towards me. Her hips were swaying as her hair flew backwards. Her infectious smile never left her face and this turned me on. She was holding an apple and kept tossing it in the air. Red lipstick. Red bra. Red hotpants. Red stilettos. Red attitude. She was moving in slow motion. Sexy would be an understatement. My jaws dropped and my heart missed a beat. Blood boiled in me. She was close. Inches closer. Still smiling she bit on the apple and offered it to me. Red apple. I took it gladly my eyes not leaving her face. I took it slowly to my mouth and just as i was about to bite somebody knocked the apple off my hand and it hit the floor splitting into two. She disappeared.

I woke out of my fantasy with a start. I looked confusedly around and the room was empty. Apparently James had left with her girl devoid my attention. I stood and stretched out stifling a yawn. I felt disturbed. Loneliness was creeping up on me. I needed something so badly. Everything around me seemed boring. I heard a old school song blasting from the next room. The song fully blended with my situation. It only added to my distress. Lonely by Akon.

The room was getting unbearable so i walked out.

I sat on some railing and focused my gaze towards her hostel. Girls were milling in and out some with company of guys. Some couples were hugging and fondling outside the hostel. Everybody seemed to be in pairs. Some guy was playfully chasing a girl and kissing her at each stop. Two dogs were making out outside the hostel. Even trees. Damn everything was paired up. I envied all. Matter of fact i felt jealous. Lisa where are you.

" Bro still wondering of the penalty for loving a girl?" Alex tapped my shoulder grinning.
I hadn't seen him appear.

Seeing that i wasn't responding he added,
"Why did you even ask that in the first place? You in love with someone?"

I felt like explaining the load off me. It was heavy to bear a secret especially one which was affecting me. With bated breath i replied,

"Yeah am in love with someone and i can't seem to stop it"

"Look who is talking!" Alex exclaimed laughing as if i had just said the ocean is made of kerosene.

"Am serious about..." My words drifted away when i saw them. Alex followed my gaze.

They were kissing just outside the hostel with arms wrapped around each other.

I swallowed hard and my face turned pale.