19: asking the ghosts

Swallowing any traces of fear, I looked away from the boy's eyes, holding up the hand that was supposedly "marked" by Raphael. "I'm sure you can already tell, but I'm not one who wastes her breath on small talk and formalities. I only have one question for you."

The boy sat back against the chair, pulling his legs up to his chest. When I glanced back at him, he had his bottom lip stuck out, a shadow of disappointment across his face. He was sulking. "I thought you'd let me help you."

I put my hand down. "Well that depends on what kind of help you're offering. Obviously, I'd rather have my body to myself instead of letting a random ghost use it for unknown reasons."

Chin still tucked against his chest, the boy looked up at me, eyes back to the normal faded gray I first saw it as. "Help doesn't come for free, big sis."

A smile of annoyance came to my face. Usually, I tried to avoid ghosts at all costs because they would always show their terrifying side to me when they found out I could exorcise them easily. But I only wanted to avoid this little ghost because he was getting on my nerves. I wasn't a patient person nor was I someone who was good with children.

"Alright." I got up from the bench, brushing dirt off the back of my skirt. "Then I'll just have to ask another ghost for help, little boy." I turned to leave, the fake smile melting off my face the moment my back faced him.

"Wait! Big sis —"

I twisted around, the faux smile plastering back onto my face. The corners of my mouth ached from my forced smile. Hopefully I'd get through this boy because I wasn't about to keep on this façade for too long. "What's up, little boy? You want to waste more of my time?"

He seemed to recoil from my words, probably wondering how a small and innocent looking girl could spew out words to him with such venom, but there was still that spark of defiance in his eyes. I suddenly felt bad for whoever had to deal with him while he was alive. "My name isn't 'little boy,' big sis. And I'm not one either. Just to let you know, I've been wandering around this walled-up town for longer than you think."

"Mm-hm. And the name's not 'big sis' either, little boy. It's Yu Rui." I waved at him. "Now, goodbye."

"I'm Jian. I know why you're here."

My brows rose. "Oh, you do?"

"There's only one reason why someone would come here. You want to find Madame Blanc, don't you?"

I walked back to him, sitting down on the bench before turning to him like a grade schooler who was suddenly interested in the story their grandfather was telling. Hopefully this boy called "Jian" had something worthwhile to say. If he was just pulling something else, I would just do the world a quick favor and send him away to whatever afterlife exorcised ghosts went to. "Is she the one who sends ghosts as messengers?" After a moment of hesitation, I added, "Does she have a 'toy' in her possession?"

He narrowed his eyes at me when I asked about the latter. "You're not a collector, are you? I don't help people who confine souls for their own twisted enjoyment."

I matched his gaze, eyes unwavering. I had no lie to tell. "I'm not."

Jian seemed to believe me in one way or another because he let out a breath of air, nodding in approval. "I'll take you to Madame Blanc, but it's beyond a place ghosts like me can pass." His voice changed to one of bubbling excitement as he grinned at me.

Frowning, I drummed my fingers against my thigh, waiting for him to go on. I already knew it was going to be something I was against, but had no choice but to go with. "And?"