A Gift

I walked into the dungeon classroom, greeted by stares as I stood at the front of the classroom instead of taking a seat. Sarah looked at me, confused from the back of the room. I waved her off, assuredly.
Snape stares the class down as usual.
"Today you will be making Draught of Living Death. If you need any assistance please notify myself or my assistant. This is a highly dangerous potion and as much as I would love to see less faces in this classroom, I do not wish for any accidental poisonings. Begin." He started pacing the room as he always did. Sarah and Penny waved me over to them.
"What the hell are you doing? You didn't tell me you were going to be Snape's assistant? That's bloody mad!"
I smiled.
"I think I'm going to like it. I love potions."
"Yes but do you love yourself? look who you're stuck with." She motioned to Snape as he angrily was chastising a Hufflepuff boy. The boy started to cry.
"Oh he's not that bad." I shrugged.
"Not to mention this is totally social suicide, Stasia. Snape is a fucking nightmare. You're lucky you're so damn pretty and you're Dumbledore's niece or I wouldn't have even bothered helping you out and talking to you if i'd known you were going to pull this stunt." Her comment made me angry.
"You don't know me, Sarah, I don't give a fuck what you or anyone student at this damn school thinks of me. You don't know Snape either. You are nothing. You always will be. A big fish in a little pond. What can you do for my future? Nothing. That's right. So judge away. I'm warning you not to cross me, Sarah. Things were different at Ilvermorny, and you'll soon learn how things are here." I was leaning over her desk, staring her in the eye, inches from her face. I became aware that the room was watching my intimidation, including Snape. Sarah was one of the most popular witches in my year and she needed her ego set straight.
A few Gryffindors started clapping, then soon a few Ravenclaws joined, followed by Slytherins and Hufflepuffs until the entire room was cheering.
"Sit. Down." Snape glared at the class and they obeyed.
He made eye contact with me. I understood and let him into my head.
His deep smooth voice echoed.
We will discuss this after class.
Sorry, sir.
No need to apologize.
I sighed.
"Ten points from every house for that disruption. And twenty from Slytherin." I heard the class groan in unison.
He paused and thought a moment.
"Thirty points to Slytherin for Anastasia's perfect execution of liquid luck yesterday."
The Slytherins cheered.
You are the best.
He looked startled and shot a wary glance at me.
Hardly.
Class ended and I stayed back. A few Slytherins and students from other houses smiled at me.
Sarah shot daggers in my direction with her eyes, but paused in front of me before she left.
"I underestimated you, Dumbledore. I won't next time. Are we good?" She extended her hand towards me.
I smirked.
"It's not going to be that easy. I know what you've been saying. I know everything." She looked shocked.
"Stasia....I'm sorry...."
"Sorry doesn't cut it." I was seething.
"P-p-please..."
She apologized and you know she won't do it again, look at her, she's scared of you.
I heard Snape in my head.
I sighed.
"I forgive you. Don't let it happen again. We are good, Sarah."
Her expression of fear melted away  and she pulled me into a hug. I stiffened.
Proud of you.
I heard him chuckle in my head.
I'm not a hugger. I explained.
You don't say? He retorted.
"Thank you. You won't regret giving me this second chance, Stasia. See you later."
I nodded to her as she sashayed away.
I wondered why the hell Snape had cared at all to interfere. I was soon left alone in the classroom. I heard Snape come out of the storage closet.
"I have been in contact with Thornwood. He is very proud of you. He sent you this." Snape had reappeared and held out a small ornate box with a letter attached. I smiled and placed it in my robe pocket to open later.
"Thank you, Sir."
"He expressed to be how lucky I was to have you as an assistant and sang the praises of your character. He also expresses his condolences for your parents and Jack, I'm assuming he was your brother?"
"Boyfriend. He was my boyfriend."
Snape's eyes widened.
"I'm....so sorry."
I chewed my lip.
Snape looked incredibly sad.
"Hey, it's okay. I'm fine. Look. I'm holding up." I placed a hand on his arm and he jumped at the unexpected contact.
"Dumbledore said everything happens for a reason. There's no use in moping about. I have to keep moving forward. Besides, if I stop swimming I'll get eaten alive here."
Snape smiled.
"You seem to be managing better than you're aware. Check your pocket."
I pulled out a note and blushed.
Hogsmeade? Saturday. Meet me in the common room after breakfast that day if you want to come.
T.G.
"Who is T.G.?"
"The Gryffindor seeker. I'm sure our Mr. Hexwell won't like that."
He examined the amused expression on my face.
"I'm flattered, but no."
Snape raised an eyebrow.
"Too juvenile. Besides, I watched him try to brew liquid luck yesterday, did you see that mess?"
"I did. I had no clue your romantic interest had to have a talent for potions." He smirked, making me nervous.
I rarely got nervous, but he seemed to bring that out in me when he wanted to.
"They don't....I just...no." I laughed and he chuckled.
He smiled. It looked good on him. I thought he should smile more.
"They're just so...." I trailed off looking for the word.
"Immature? Obnoxious?" He asked.
"YESSSSS both." I pointed at him and laughed a little harder.
He smiled at me.
"They don't even know me. How do they know they like me? They don't know the first thing about me." I let my smile turn to a frown. Snape furrowed his brow.
"I suppose they're just basing their judgement off your appearance..."
I laughed.
"What's funny?"
"I don't exactly keep up with the fashion. Look at this hair." I pulled the wand I was using to pin up my wild hair and let my long waves fall.
"What's wrong with it? I like it. It suits you."
"You do?" I raised an eyebrow.
"It's very...You."
"I guess that's a compliment. I still think you're just trying to make me feel better. You don't have to take it easy on me, you know. I can handle myself, Professor."
I placed my hands on my hips, tucking the second wand into my waistband.
"I'm not taking it easy on you. You've exceeded my expectations, that's all. I'll be owling Thornwood and telling him this later."
I chewed my lip.
"Well thank you, I know I'm not my usual chipper self, but I'm trying."
"You? Chipper? I'd like to see that."
I stuck my tongue out playfully. He laughed.
"I thought I heard laughter, but I had to come see it for myself..." McGonagall strode into the room.
"Minerva." His expression turned cold again.
"Severus, I see you've discovered our new rising star. I'm pleased to see you two getting along, I was worried, but Albus seemed confident you two would hit it off."
"Why on earth wouldn't we? She's the most gifted potions student I've ever encountered." Severus narrowed his eyes.
McGonagall turned to me.
"How are you managing? Do you need anything?" I knew what she meant. She didn't know Snape knew about my situation and I got the feeling I shouldn't let her know he knew.
"I'm doing better, I really like it here."
She smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder.
"I'm glad to hear that, dear. Uncle Albus would like to see you when you're free after dinner."
Snape rolled his eyes.
"Do you have something to say, Severus."
"Not at all, Minerva. Have a good day."
She smiled at me before leaving.
....
I hurried off to my room at lunch and pulled out the box and letter. It was written in the familiar scrawl that most people found difficult to read.
I smiled as a smelled the familiar musty potions smell that accompanied Thornwood.
Little one,
I am relieved to hear that you are being well taken care of by my old friend Albus Dumbledore. I am even more relieved to hear that Severus has made you his assistant and is making use of you. From his glowing account of you If seems like you are already both causing trouble and impressing folks per usual. Keep your wit sharp and your tongue sharper as always. Write me anytime. I included a little gift to make up for the fact we didn't get a proper goodbye. I am told you are in hiding, and at my earlier convenience I will pay Hogwarts a visit. You are the strongest little witch I've ever seen. I have no doubt in my mind after this past week that you can handle whatever is thrown your way.
Proud as always,
Thaddeus Thornwood