Amortentia

"I look dumb

"I look dumb." I looked in the mirror in the shop. Sara had dragged me to Hogsmeade one Saturday to look for an outfit for the All Hallows' Eve Ball which was coming up very soon...I had gotten an early start before Snape woke up and left him a note telling him I'd be back later to work with him tonight.
"You look cute." She laughed.
I stood looking in the mirror at myself in the mirror.
"It's pretty short... I do like the fishnets..."

I sat on a windowsill and took a sip of complimentary champagne. This place really had everything. I initially didn't want to go, but after Dumbledore ushered me to go, I figured why not?
"Stunning, is this the one?" The man who ran the shop came over.
"I think so, if you think so, Sarah?"
She nodded.
"It suits you. It's different."
"And it's not a dress...You sure this will be okay?"
She assured me with a nod. I looked out the window and noticed it was getting dark. I had to be back to work on some of Snape's potions.
"I have to go..." I told Sarah. She looked confused.
"Why? You finished all your homework...." she smiled.
"What?"
"It's about that guy....you're going to go meet up...." I blushed.
"No!!!!" I shook my head rapidly.
"You liar! Your face is bright red!" She smirked.
I groaned and waved my wand and the clothing folded itself and my skirt and blouse returned to my body. I was wearing my hair down to get the same look I would have on the day of the ball. I still wore the fishnets under my skirt. I already owned them and I was glad I'd worn them. They looked good with my outfit.
I paid the man at the counter and made my way back to Hogwarts.
I walked in to Snape's study.
He wasn't here yet but I saw a cauldron bubbling beside mine so he couldn't have gone far.
I saw a large sheet-covered object in the corner and walked over to it. I never had paid much attention to it until now. I pulled and removed it and coughed at all the dust. A piano.
I remembered asking for one as a child after visiting an elderly muggle neighbor that taught music and having my very supportive parents buy one at a muggle shop and haul it home. Anything for little Stasia. I had always loved music...it was a secret of mine. I wasn't expecting to see music on the stand either. Did Snape play? Most people I knew just charmed instruments to play themselves...I remembered my favorite song and started to play and sing...
"Now you say you're lonely, you cry the long night through, well you can cry me a river, cry me a river, I cried a river over you.... Now you say you're sorry, for being so untrue....well you can cry me a river, cry me a river, I cried a river over you—"
I heard footsteps approach and stopped.
"Please, keep going..."
He walked over and sat down on the bench beside me. My heart was pounding. I usually didn't sing or play in front of anyone except Mrs. Johnson....she died years ago. I thought of her often. I heard him start to play. He knew Julie London?

"Sing, Anastasia..."
"You drove me, nearly drove me out of my head, while you never shed a tear....remember- I remember- all that you said. Told me love was too plebeian, told me you were through with me, and now you say you love me, well just to prove you do, come on and cry me a river, cry me a river, I cried a river over you.... I cried a river....over you...." I stopped playing and looked over at him. He met my gaze.
"You sound amazing..." he finally spoke.
"Really?" I was embarrassed.
"Why didn't you tell me you played?" He arches an eyebrow.
"Well why didn't you tell me you played?"
"A guilty pleasure of mine." The way he said that sent a shiver up my spine.
"The same for me."
He smiled.
"How did you know that song?" He asked.
"I had a muggle neighbor that taught me to play. She died a few years ago. How about you?" He thought for a moment before replying.
"I'm a half-blood. Don't go spreading that around."
I realized this was a test of trust.
"I won't." He sighed.
"Yet again, you've gone and surprised me... sing another one..."
I smiled and tried to steady my heartbeat and concentrate.
"My funny Valentine, sweet comic Valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art
Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smiling?"

He watched me as I sang, playing the harmony to compliment my notes.

"But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little Valentine, stay
Each day is Valentine's Day...."
He shook his head.
"What is it, sir?"
"Amazing..." he smiled.
"You sing one. You have to. I sang two!"
He rolled his eyes.
"You tell NOBODY about this."
"I promise."
He started to sing, his voice made my stomach do flips again. The room became hot and I nervously fidgeted with my hands. I knew the song a little, but not enough to play... he kept his eyes on me as he played.
"....What was it that controlled me
What kept my love life lean?
My intuition told me,
You'd come on the scene...
Lady listen to the rhythm of my heartbeat
And you'll get just what I mean
Embrace me, my sweet embraceable you
Embrace me, you irreplaceable you
Just one look at you my heart grew tipsy in me—"
"Its boiling over!" I shot up off the piano bench and ran over to whatever he had been brewing and began trying to fix it.
"Amortentia. I can just make more..." he rose to his feet.
"No, here, I distracted you, let me just fix it..." I heard him pull the cover down on the piano and walk behind me as I worked,
"Fuck this. I can't save it. It doesn't smell right."
"What does it smell like?" He asked.
"It usually smells like Jack. Like his cologne and pine needles and his shampoo. I can't smell anything. Maybe my nose is stuffy? No it's just wrong. I fucked it up, I'm sorry, Snape."
Snape's face turned white.
He leaned down and inhaled deeply.
"It has to be messed up... it must be wrong...."
"I honestly don't know what I did. That's a first for me. I'm going to make another..."
"Don't. Just go on to bed... I'll make it. You look tired...."
"I'm fine, Professor, I'll do it. I'm the one who messed this up..."
"Just. Go." He seemed a little out of sorts.
"Alright, Alright.....fine. I'm leaving. You're being weird. See you Monday. I'll leave you alone. Good night."
I was pissed. What was wrong with him? I stomped out of the room.
I flopped on my bed when I got to my room. I tried to not wake Sarah.
I noticed a note on my bed.

To the most beautiful girl. I'd love to take you to the All Hallows' Eve Ball. I've admired you from afar too long.
Time to be a Gryffindor and ask...
Will you go with me? Owl me when you make up your mind.

Bill Weasley

He was a year or two younger, but I remembered noticing him looking at me one day. I had asked Sarah who it was and she'd replied in a disgusted tone that it was Bill and he wasn't cool because he was a Gryffindor. He seemed smart in the potions class I helped teach. He seemed like a sweet kid and Sarah was going with Hexwell. I needed a date so I wouldn't be sitting alone the entire night...

I'd be honored. Yes!

Anastasia Dumbledore

I would take it to be owled tomorrow morning. I laid down and drank my potion and felt its effects almost immediately as I drifted off to sleep.

....
Author's Note:
Song lyrics are from
"Cry Me A River" by Julie London
"My Funny Valentine" by Ella Fitzgerald
"Embraceable You" by Sarah Vaughn