Chap 10

Peer pressure.

I walked out of the garage to find Josh leaning on the kitchen countertop, he was gazing absently into nothingness.

"Hi."

"Heh."

I was expecting something around the lines of "Sex" or another random obscene phrase that would make me uncomfortable. I walked up to him, something had to be wrong with my brother.

"What's up?"

Suddenly his expression turned to that of a mortification, maybe worry, like a kid when he just broke something he was told not to touch. Considering it's Josh, it couldn't be good.

"I'm sorry."

"Josh..."

"I swear I didn't mean to!"

"Josh, what did you do?"

He swallowed. This had to be the most scared I'd ever seen him. "Y-you know that...everyone sorta doesn't know that we have a killer alien warrior in our house? And that mom and dad are gone?"

"Yeah..."

He rung his fingers through his hair, "And you know what that means for teenage adolescence these days, right?"

"What are you-"

"Word got out, Soph! And a house with no parental supervision only means one thing!" he grabbed both my shoulders.

"You don't mean-"

He nodded.

"JOSH!"

"I couldn't help it!" he shook me a little, "It was out of my hands! Stupid Roger found out and started running his mouth with all sorts of shit! Now everyone knows!"

I grabbed his collar and pulled him closer, I seethed. "Joshua Robert Alexander Daniels, what the hell. Did. You. Do."

"It was peer pressure, I swear, I tried to stop it, no one was listening!"

"JOSH."

"Everyone thinks there's gonna be a party here..."

I punched him so hard it hurt my fist.

"Josh what the hell!"

"I kept on denying it! I tried, Sophie, I swear this isn't my fault!"

"Damnit Josh! Just...! Damnit!"

....

Silence.

....

You could cut the tension with a knife.

....

"When?"

"Friday."

I hit both his shoulders repeatedly. "JOSHUA!"

"Ow! Ow! Stop it!"

"URGH!"

I massaged both my temples, "What do we do about Krone?"

"You gotta convince him to get outa here..."

"Me? This is your problem, Josh, you tell him!"

"You're the one who keeps talkin to him!"

"You're the one who got us into this mess!"

"Peer pressure!"

I started hitting him again.

Until I saw Krone staring at us. I think both me and Josh felt uncomfortable with the entire situation and a regain of characteristic composure was in order. We both looked away. Though when I looked up at him again I couldn't help but feel mad.

I slapped him.

Why did I have to be related with an complete idiot?

0000

"I don't know what your gonna do, Josh," I said while we both headed for the school entrance, "but you better find a way to call this thing off, or else."

Josh flinched but nodded. He ran up ahead, his friends surrounded him, I hoped things were going to get fixed.

The rest of the day passed by like a hazy dream. I didn't really pay attention in class, I think I didn't eat lunch but at least I remember getting some. And I only figured out that Fred was throwing spit-wads at me after Julia ever so kindly pointed it out while laughing past me in the hallway. Liz said that maybe I was finally going into a spiral depression.

I think it's because I was worried about whether or not Josh had found a way to call off that party so a certain Predator wouldn't have to be disturbed.

Or kill anyone.

By the time final bell rang I was praying in loud cries.

"Josh!"

I ran up to him when we were both a good distance from the school. He looked all the blood had been drained from his face.

"So? What's the verdict? Did to you call it off?"

He mumbled. I pushed him.

"Josh!"

"Vivian Hale is coming..." was his reply.

We both stopped walking. I looked at him wide eyed and mouth open. "What?"

"She heard about the house and came up to me," he explained, "and...you know how she does that 'circles finger on your chest thing'? and that 'rides leg up your leg and leans on you and almost kisses you' tease?"

I stared.

"and with that smile and then touches a very, very sensitive spot on your thigh?"

Stared.

"she ruffled my hair, Soph"

Staring

"I have her perfume on my shirt."

Hit.

"Ow..."

I cried out in frustration.

"JOSH!"

"I-"

"Don't!"

He nods.

"You do realize that Vivian Hale means the entire study body is coming?"

"How much money do we have for food?"

Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. HIT. HIT. HIT. HIT! And a scream.