Chap 29

Sophie's Miserable Day!

I wish I were dead.

And that's not a joke or figure of speech, I seriously would love it if I were dead right now, someone could have me at gunpoint and I wouldn't mind.

I stayed a good while after Krone had left, staring at the floor and the only real reason I got up was because I couldn't feel my knees anymore. More selfish needs, great. Selfish or no, with barely enough strength I managed to stand up, my knees buckling almost like I was a baby deer learning how to walk. My jeans were stained with grass and dead twig, not that it really mattered.

When I got home it was dark out and I was freezing.

I closed the front door behind me and took painful steps towards the kitchen, my entire body sore and I could only breathe lightly or else my lungs would start to hurt.

"Your back."

It was Josh, he was frowning but I knew he wasn't angry. I looked away, suddenly feeling heavier than before.

"...he's gone..." I said in a tone that reminded me of when I first talked to Krone. My throat hurt.

Josh didn't say anything and I continued my way to the kitchen, I sat down at the table and buried my face into my arms.

I was to tired to cry but the last thing I remember was wanting to.

000

"Hey, Sophie!"

Liz nearly knocked me down as she bumped into me in her usual playful way, "Oops, almost had a nasty fall there..."

I barely remembered getting up this morning. What did I do all day? Does it even matter?

"Hey, what's wrong? You look depressed..."

More like miserable.

"Yo, Sophie," she snapped her fingers in front of my face, "earth to Sophie..."

Who need's earth when I've gone to outer space? I saw the stars with Krone and now he...

"Sophie...?"

I shook my head, realizing that all I've been doing all day was wandering inside my head, "I...I'm fine...Liz...just tired is all..."

"Tired my left foot...Sophie, you can tell me, we're friends right?"

I gave her a skeptical look.

"Okay, so we're not BFF's x2 forever, ever, but..." she shrugged, "we can still talk."

"Is it about that guy you liked?"

Krone...

"Did something happen? Did something-"

"He's gone, Liz, he's gone!"

I cried on her shoulder, letting it all out.

000

"You look dead."

I saw a glass of milk march right up to my face.

"Drink something."

I sat up and stared blankly and the unoffending cup.

Maybe not.

Josh nudged it closer.

I poked it.

He sighed.

"Look-"

The front door opened wide, my breath caught in my throat.