Chap 15

Zales.

I'd never thought I'd say it. Those kinds of things are reserved for old people. But really...

The prices on bread these days are outrageous!

And that's way I'm punching dough right now on top of the kitchen countertop and making some whilst Josh is cutting coupons across from me. I realize that Mom and Dad probably left us alone on purpose so we could learn to fend for ourselves...

"Ugh...I need a break," I wiped my hands with a towel, "Hey, Josh, leave the bread to rise, I'll be right back!"

"I can't fathom where you're going, sister dearest..." he snipped at the coupons, "do tell so I won't be worried for you...FUCK!"

He cut himself.

I snickered, "Band-aid's in the bathroom, Shakespeare!"

"Shut your mouth!"

I opened the garage door. Surprisingly, I found Krone setting up some kind of flat projector thing on the floor, it was connected by three different wires to something inside his ships cockpit.

"Hey, what's up?"

He glanced at me, "I managed to send a message to the communications bureau and I received one this morning telling me to set up for visual contact."

"Your gonna talk to someone back at your planet?"

He nodded.

"That's awesome!"

Like something out of Star Trek , I walked up to him, "Need any help?"

"No, I'm set."

"Can I stay?"

He pondered on it a moment, "If you want to."

"Cool!" a real life intergalactic phone call, wow. "So who are you gonna talk to?"

"I honestly have no idea."

The projector thing shot a light, like an actual projector would, only this one didn't need a blank wall or something. The screen was in midair. Things were a bit fuzzy at first, I couldn't hear to well either, it must be bad connection. Sweet Jesus, how nerve-racking! Okay, okay, I see something! Just a little more...man it's like messing with the cables of a TV to try and make it clearer...come on come on!

I wonder if Krone's nervous? Nah, probably not. Oh! I see something! It's a someone! No, it's a Yautja! He's dressed sorta...wait a minute...do I...it's...it's....

"ZALES?"

The screen finally cleared.

"ZALES!" it's Zales! "Ohmigosh! It's Zales! Zales!" I shook Krone's arm, "Krone, it's Zales!" I looked back at the screen, "Hi, Zales!" I like Zales.

I heard the belly laugh I knew so well. I used to think when Zales laughed, babies were born.

"Sophie!" the Elder Yautja laughed again, "It's been so long!"

Like super long. To clarify: yes, Zales is the high Yautja Elder that use to visit when I was a kid. His name's not really Zales, it's Zalesladras, but like I can pronounce that...when I was six I just called him Zalesies. What? I was only six and I had a speech impediment!

"It's great to see you again, Zales!" I felt like floating.

"It's a pleasure to see you again to, Sophie," he leaned forward on his throne chair, his face came closer to the screen, "You've grown so much! It seems like only yesterday that you barely reached my knees!"