Chapter 14

When Buck and Tory were on their way back to the tower, the sun was long gone. They had lost track of time, and it was already dawn. The streets were almost empty, only some random people stumbling drunkenly, going back home.

They were laughing about something Bucky remembered after their trip to Brooklyn. It had been a great day, he wished it didn't end. They had discovered the two of them made an excellent party duo.

When Bucky discreetly looked back for the third time, between their talk, the woman found it weird.

"What's wrong?" Tory muttered, feeling Bucky was suddenly tense. He got closer to her and threw his right arm over her shoulders like a natural move, protectively.

"We are being followed," he muttered back, lowering his head.

"But..." she was about to ask, but he cut her off.

"Guy in a dark green coat, washed jeans, sunglasses, talking on the cellphone," he described the man, walking a little faster, without seeming desperate.

Tory peeked from her shoulder as if she was just looking at a showcase from a store they were passing by. She found the man a few steps behind them, staring at Bucky's back.

"Just keep walking. Act as if you didn't notice," Buck said on her ear. She nodded.

As the tower got closer, they increased the pace of their steps, reaching the tall building and entering it as quick as they could. The guy that was following them just kept walking, looking back at the entrance door before disappearing.

"Next time we are taking the car," Tory commented when the doors of the elevator closed. She took the baseball cap from her head and tucked it on her back pocket, releasing a breath she didn't notice she was holding.

"Or next time we'll just come back a little earlier," Buck added. She laughed drily. This could have ended in a fight or worse.

When the elevator's door burst open, Tory stopped on her feet, looking around. Tony was sitting on the arm of the couch with a glass of scotch in hand, facing the elevator, serious expression on his features. The woman didn't notice Nat on the corner, standing by the floor to ceiling windows, fidgeting with her necklace.

"What's up?" Tory asked nervously. Nat looked at her, the tension on her shoulders vanishing. Tony looked over to the pair, walking up to them.

"Where were you?" he asked, serious. When neither of them said nothing, he just kept talking.

"It's 3 in the fucking morning! Why didn't you call to at least tell us where you've been?"

Tory looked at Nat confused. He never acted like this when she arrived late. Sure, he always called to know where she was, hen he didn't already know it, but he was never angry. Something had happened for Tony to be like this.

"What happened?" Tory questioned, exchanging a look with Buck.

"We got something out of HYDRA's men today. Rollings just told us they are watching every step we take. That's how they found us in the bar that night. Since neither of you picks up your phone, we just assumed the worst," the redhead explained. Tony drank up all the rest of the amber liquid, taking a step towards her.

"You're good?" he asked his sister, looking her over, back to his usual mood. She shook her head yes, a little astonished by Tony's yelling.

"Next time just tell us where you're heading to," Stark said, hugging her, before walking to the elevator with a tired posture.

"F.R.Y.D.A.Y let the team know they are back. Say nothing to Pepper right now."

It was the last thing they heard before the metal doors closed.