Chapter 2: Fight Club

Song: Beat It by Michael Jackson

"Guess what? My parents leaving town for the night. Why don't you come over and we can have some fun?" Uh oh. I knew exactly what that meant.

"Um...gee babe, I don't know. I mean, my brother's coming home tonight and the hockey team has a meeting with coach right now so..."

Kennedy's eyes grew wide as she started to pout. "You don't love me anymore Vance?"

"Of course I do babe! It's just..." My mind was racing. I couldn't do this. Not after...

"Then I'll see you after the team meeting!" I watched as Kennedy danced away. I sighed. I loved Kennedy. I really did but I just couldn't go through that right now.

"What took you so long? Did you get caught by the Wicked Witch of the West?"

"Wow. Haha, very funny. Seriously Zhang? How original. And yes, I was with Kennedy."

"Well? What did she want?"

"The usual."

"And you told her no, right?"

"Look just drop it, okay?" Zhang stared me down for a moment.

"Fine." That's what I liked about Zhang. He always knew when to stop. Zhang Lee and I have been best friends since the beginning of high school. We met when we started playing on the school hockey team.

"Can we at least talk about what we're doing in gym C? I mean come on - I swear I'm going to catch a disease just by looking at that net."

He had a point. Gym C was in the oldest part of the school. Being here felt like time travelling back to the early 1900s.

"Hey, if we get rabies from a rat then maybe we can skip that math test on..."

"No way! What are they doing here?"

I directed my attention towards the doors and let out a loud groan. There stood Zaavan Fleetwood, captain of the soccer team with the rest of the soccer players.

Great. Just what everyone needed. A good old fight that will tear down this barely stable health hazard of a gym.

I didn't get what the soccer team had against us. Nobody on the hockey team could care less about them, but that didn't mean that we wouldn't stand up for ourselves.

Trinity Scott pushed his way to the front. "You've got 10 seconds to get out of our gym."

"Your gym? Last time I checked, your name wasn't written anywhere, so I think we'll just get comfy."

Trinity pulled his arm back ready to deliver a punch.

"What? Your captain too big of a wimp to take me on for himself?"

Was he being serious right now?!

"I'll knock you down so hard you'll run screaming like the little girl you are."

Zaavan's mouth fell open and his eyes went wide. His face went pale like he'd just seen a ghost. What was wrong with him? He looked like he was about to pass out.

"Wha-what are y-you talking a-"

Suddenly, a shrill whistle pierced the air. It was coach Wilson followed by coach Davidson from the soccer team.

"Listen up. Coach Davidson has an announcement that will be affecting all of you here in this room." She shook her head and pursed her lips. Boy, was she mad.

"Thank you fellow coach! Now, you have all been very naughty boys who must be punished."

Yikes. I looked over to coach Wilson who was rolling her eyes. Thank God the hockey team was priority and always got her. That meant that the soccer team always got stuck with coach Davidson.