Chapter 34: Love

Song: Hold Each Other by A Great Big World

A/N: Hey guys! Happy New Year to you all! I am so sorry for the late update. Things haven't been great lately and I've been constantly sick, that's why it took me so long. Anyways, thanks for being so patient <3

The fight went on for nearly 3 hours.

So we blasted music while packing Zaavan's things in an attempt to drown out the furious voices beneath us.

Zaavan's aunt stayed put, refusing to give up. She fought for Zaavan to be able to live with her and be free to be who he wanted to be. Never once did she back down, determined not to let her little brother win.

Although Zaavan's dad wouldn't stop until he got his way, aunt Holly was tough.

I think she was also terrified of what might happen if she let Zaavan go again.

After 2 hours, I'm pretty sure they weren't even arguing about about Zaavan anymore. Even so, the look of guilt on Zaavan's face nearly destroyed me.

"Zaavan?" I started softly as he brought his guilt laced eyes to mine. "This isn't your fault, it's completely your parents'. They're the ones being close-minded assholes." He smiled as I turned the music up while keeping it quiet enough to avoid any protest from his already fuming parents.

We sang and danced as we packed, certain that aunt Holly would be victorious.

And she was.

"So, slasher, scary or gore?"

Now we were both sitting together on Zaavan's new bed in aunt Holly's house, trying to decide what to watch. I made sure to keep my distance, terrified that any move I made would shatter this fragile friendship.

"You still want to watch horror movies after these exhausting past few days?! Why don't we watch a nice cartoon?"

Zaavan scrunched up his face and I couldn't help but think just how breathtakingly beautiful he was.

"What are you, 5?"

"Okay fine, slasher" I said with a fake heavy sigh.

I zoned out as Zaavan started weighing our options. I just couldn't think clearly anymore. I've been trying so hard to act as if everything was okay but I could no longer deny that it really wasn't.

The words were bubbling up inside of me, dying to come out.

I want to be with you. Tell me that you at least like me. I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you, just please take me back. I can't go back to being just friends again, I just-

"Vance? You good?"

Back to reality. "Yeah, sorry just zoned out for a minute, what were you saying?" I flashed Zaavan a smile in a futile attempt to convince him, knowing very well that he could see right through it.

"I'm just going to grab some snacks, I'll be right back," he said, eyeing me skeptically.

As he left, I shook my head, trying to make sense of my thoughts.

What did I want?

It was obvious: Zaavan. As my boyfriend. To be able to kiss him again, to run my hands through his soft brown hair and to stay up late laughing with him. I'd even be satisfied just being able to hold him again.