Chapter 7: Frenemies

Song: Perfect Places by Lorde

"Aren't you going to change?" Asked Vance.

"Nah. I'm not in the mood to go swimming," I lied. Actually, I haven't swum since I was six. I mean, how could I? I'd just disgust everyone and they'd all laugh at me.

Vance just shrugged and started to change into his swim trunks. Wait - was he just going to change right here?! He took off his shirt and I scanned his extremely fit body. Oh right. He's actually normal. Things like this were no big deal to him. Normal guys probably do stuff like this all the time.

"Enjoying the view?" Smirked Vance.

"What view - you've got nothing worth looking at," I snorted. Okay so maybe that was a lie. Being an athlete Vance was seriously fit, like me. I finally managed to look away. That kind of freedom was something I could only dream of having.

"C'mon. Let's go."

We didn't do much at the pool. Everyone fooled around while I just stayed on my phone.

"You actually don't want to swim or do you have some kind of fear of water? Or is it something else?" I looked up to see Vance standing in front of me. He went and sat down beside me.

I raised an eyebrow. Why did he care all of a sudden? "I just don't swim. It's not my thing."

"What is your thing then?"

Just then, Kolton came out of the changing room. Shoot. I thought he wasn't coming down. Immediately, my eyes scanned him from head to toe. From his muscular arms to his toned abs to his... Shit. What am I doing?!

"Zaavan! You're not hitting the pool?"

"I...um...uh..." For some reason, I seemed to have completely forgotten how to talk. Vance gave me a questioning look.

"You alright there, bud?" Kolton put a hand on my shoulder and I jerked back as if his hand was a hot iron plate. Crap. I guess getting rid of whatever I felt for him wasn't as easy as I thought.

"I'm not feeling well," I lied. "I'm just going to head back and go to bed." Yeah it was a crappy excuse, but I couldn't take it anymore. I left before anyone could say anything else. As soon as I got to my room (well, mine and Vance's) I took a shower and went straight to bed.

~~~

"Hey! You're finally awake." Zaavan finally got up out of bed, drenched in sweat. Why does he always wear baggy, long-sleeved shirts and track pants? He has a decent body. He should show it off more. Not that I'd want to see it or anything, but I'm sure he'd attract more girls that way.

"Here - the motel offers free breakfast and I brought some up for you."

He gave me a skeptical look as I pointed towards a plate. "What did you do to it?" He asked me cautiously, raising an eyebrow. Man, am I really that bad at acting nice?

"Nothing. Breakfast ends at 10:00 am so you'd basically be missing free breakfast so yeah..." He looked at me skeptically for a minute but ate anyways. My plan was to get to know Zaavan better, become "friends" then hopefully, he'd tell me some sort of deep dark secret of his that I could use at the team meeting on Monday. No, it wasn't a fantastic, elaborate, well thought-out plan. It was a last minute one, but it'd have to do. So yes, if it meant being honey sweet to my rival, I'd do it. It'll all be worth it in the end. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Katja rushed in as I opened it.