Chapter 2: More New Faces

Takeo awoke, dazed and confused, his world seemingly spinning. He shot up quickly, panting heavily and looking around. "I'm alright. I'm okay. Nothing happened." Takeo said to himself while simultaneously looking around him for those strange shadow creatures. That couldn't have been real, could it have? What were those things? What were they doing in Traverse Town? Takeo had so many questions, but he knew that he couldn't ask anyone about it, they would think he was crazy!

               Takeo was also extremely curious about the weapon that he wielded for a short time. Was it a sword, or a key? What was its purpose, and why was it able to hurt the giant shadow creature? Once again, Takeo found himself asking questions that no one else could give him an answer to.

               Takeo looked back up to the sky, the cool morning air hitting his face. Was that a dream, or a warning? It felt so real, so much so that when Takeo stood up, his entire body ached. These weren't the normal aches from sleeping on a hard, brick flooring either. These were the kind of aches you get after being in a fight. Takeo should know, he's had his fair share since he's been in Traverse Town.

               Takeo left his alleyway, and walked up the steps, into the shop. He liked being in the shop, the owner always made him feel welcome. This shop sold many things, but the most popular sellers were the potions that were on display. Takeo walked up to the counter, and started speaking to the owner. "Hey Cid. Would it be possible to get just a regular potion from you? I'm kind of hurting right now." Cid looked down at Takeo with that same blank, emotionless stare, complete with a toothpick.

               "Come on Tak, you know I can't just give those away." said Cid, somehow keeping the toothpick in the relatively same spot.

               "Help me out here Cid. I'll work it off if i need to. I'm really hurting right now." Takeo said, holding his ribs. Cid sighed, and bent over to grab something from under the counter. He came up and set a potion bottle on the counter, and slid it towards Takeo.

               "Fine. But this has to be the last freebie that I give you." Cid paused for a moment, and a curious look came over his normally expressionless face. "Say, what do you need this potion so bad for? The last time you weren't in this bad of shape. Get into a fight?"

               Takeo let out a slight chuckle, "I guess you could say that." Takeo probably should have worded that better, because now Cid had an even more curious look on his face.

               "What happened? Get in a fight over a girl or somethin'?" Cid asked, moving the toothpick to the other side of his mouth.

               "You wouldn't believe me if I told you. You would just make fun of me." Takeo said, finishing the potion. "Much better."

               Cid let out a chuckle, "Kid, you have no idea what kind of things I've seen in my lifetime. There's nothing you can tell me that would make me question you."

               Takeo shook his head, "Alright, but you're not allowed to make fun of me afterwards since you asked for this." Takeo told him of his dream, about the shadow creatures, and the weapon that appeared in his hand for a few seconds.

               Cid shook his head in disbelief. "Kid, I think you need to come talk to a friend of mine. He'll help you understand what all of that was." A customer walked in, and walked up behind Takeo, assuming there was a waiting line. Cid looked back down to Takeo. "Look kid, come back here tonight at dusk after my shop closes." Cid turned his attention to the customer.

               Takeo walked out the door, and into the upper level of the main courtyard. As he looked up, he saw a wave of new people, wandering aimlessly, as if they had been dropped in the middle of nowhere. "Great," Takeo thought to himself, "even more people that get to live on the streets with me.

               Takeo felt a chill go up his spine, a new sensation to him. He felt as though someone was watching him. He turned around, and saw a man in a dark blue trench coat, with a scar over his eye peering around the corner of a nearby alleyway. When the man locked eyes with Takeo, he quickly shuffled back behind the wall.

               "Hey!" Takeo shouted, "Come back here!" Takeo ran over to where the man had been standing, only to find a dead end alleyway with only one way in and one way out. Takeo stood there, confused. Today has already started off as such an odd day. He wanted to say that it couldn't possibly get any weirder, but he didn't want do end up jinxing himself and making his day worse on his own.

               Takeo headed back out to the main plaza, add overlooked the crowd of people once more. Other than that guy he just saw, everyone else looks normal as can be.

               While looking down at the ground, Takeo glanced over to his hand.  Maybe he could get the weapon to materialize again?  He held his hand out in front of him, and closed his eyes.

               Takeo could feel energy rushing into his hand. He wasn't sure what it was from or what he needed it for, but it made him feel strong. He thought that he was about to get it to materialize once more, but then a calm yet seemingly panicked voice called out. "Hey! You there! Stop what you're doing!" Takeo could feel his muscles tighten up with fear. Who was this yelling orders at him, and why was he doing it?