I Dont Feel Pretty

"You ugly black bitch!"

I was walking home from school, when some random man yelled out their car at me. That man called me a terrible name. Something I had to deal with since the fifth grade.

My name is Ki'Ayla  and I'm a senior in high school. I grew up on the rough side of Chicago. I know you heard of it, "the city of gun violence" is a popular reference nowadays. I'm a 5'8, skinny, dark chocolate girl, and a god damn virgin. I hate being dark, I wish I was lighter and thicker like the girls I see on instagram. They get all the likes, nice comments, and everyone acknowledges them.

When I graduate next month I want to move far away from here. It's not safe, the problem is my mother is sick. I found out she had been fighting cancer for 2 months now, it's not getting better. I had a brother that was turning 23 in four weeks, he died last year by being shot in the back of his head, his name was Jason. Mama told and told him to get out of those streets, but he was hard headed and did what he wanted. After dropping out of school he turned to gangs then soon drugs. It's been hard on me and my twin brother. We grew up without a father, but that's alright, because my brother and I survived without him. My twin brother name is ki'moni (moni or mo for short). He's my best friend and I love that boy. Every time somebody disrespected me it was always my brother there to fight my battles. He's 6'2, muscular as hell, chocolate like me, and the schools basketball star. Everyone loved him.

 Everyone loved him