one

this story takes place at the end of February
also; I imagine Nari like Tzuyu from Twice, but feel free to make your own version of her:)

this story takes place at the end of February also; I imagine Nari like Tzuyu from Twice, but feel free to make your own version of her:)—

The bell on the cafe door jingled, signaling to the barista that someone had entered the shop

I kept my nose buried in my book, trying to ignore the people around me.

My efforts, however, were futile.

The noise of a large group of teenage boys distracted me, forcing my attention to them.

I observed them with a bored expression, they were talking loudly and joking with each other, laughing frequently.

I shook my head slightly, tearing my eyes from the group and back to my book.

As I scanned the pages trying to find where I left off, the black smudge on my palm caught my attention.

I sighed and opened my hand to get a better look at it.

It was always there, taunting me.

Most of the people I knew already found their soulmate, their black smudges turning into a beautiful array of colors the first time they touched the one fate had chosen for them.

I wasn't so lucky.

I often wondered if I even had a soulmate. As a child the whole concept of it was romantic and beautiful, but as I grew older, those feelings were replaced with doubt and self consciousness.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by a voice.

"A tall hot chocolate for Nari!" The barista yelled as she set my drink down on the counter for me to pick up.

I closed my book and placed it on the table in front of me, getting up from my seat to retrieve my drink.

I had just picked up my hot chocolate and began walking back to my table when one of the boys from the obnoxious group started walking towards me, backwards.

He was talking with someone from his group as they left to go to the back, not seeing me.

I stepped to the side, trying to avoid his path, but he abruptly turned around, facing forwards.

His shoulder clipped mine, knocking me off balance.

His face turned to a look of horror as he realized what he had done.

His hand quickly reached out and grabbed mine, keeping me and my drink from completely falling to the ground.

Warmth spread from where his skin made contact with mine as he pulled me up to stand up straight.

I yanked my hand away from his, not liking the sensation.

We looked at each other, both subconsciously aware of what had really happened.

Part of me was too scared to look down at my palm, knowing what this situation would entail.

The other was happy that I had finally found the one, and that he was so handsome.

I decided to sneak a glance down at my still open palm, just to be sure.

I tore my eyes from his and snapped my gaze to my hand.

The once black smudge had transformed into a beautiful smear of vibrant colors.

He then proceeded to roll up his left sleeve, showing a burst of color on his forearm.

My breath hitched as I realized what those colors meant.

This boy is my soulmate.