fifty four

diego;

Billie has been out for almost two days and not an hour goes by that Diego doesn't feel like shit.

He should've been there for her. He shouldn't have confessed to fucking Jess. And he defiantly shouldn't forced her to stay.

"Diego?"

Diego almost fell out of his chair in excitement. "Baby, I'm here."

She let out a soft smile followed by a cough as he placed a hand on her cheek.

"Baby, you scared the fuck out of me," Diego stated.

Her face fell in shame. She felt bad for worrying him like that. "I'm sorry, babe. I was stupid as fuck."

"Damn right you were."

She just smiled in response just as a nurse came in. "Look who's awake," he smiled friendly to her. "I'll go get you some water."

The nurse came back a minute later with a small cup filled with ice and water. Billie started to chew on the ice, something she's always done.

"Don't chew it. I've learned from experience that it doesn't help as much," the nurse warned. Billie chewed one last sassy one before listening to him.

"I'll just go tell Dr. Jimmy you're awake," he smiled before leaving the two alone. Billie immediately started to chew the ice again.

"You're so annoying," Diego joked.

"That's my line," she replied in a sassy tone. She was still mad at Diego for what he did, but she also couldn't be happier that he was the one beside her.

Before Diego could reply, there was a knock on the door and the doctor popped his head is. "She's alive," he smiled in a friendly way. "I've got a few questions for you Billie, if you're up for it."

She just nodded, finding the right answers for the routine questions. This has happened everytime she's ended up in the hospital.

"Do you want me to stay?" Diego asked, not knowing if him being there would make her uncomfortable.

She just shrugged. "I dont care."

Diego just sat back in his chair, not letting go of her hand.

"First, I just have to ask, did you do this on purpose?" the doctor asked, pulling a chair up beside the bed.

She just shrugged. "Kinda, but not really. I didn't want to die, if that's what you're asking."

"Well, we're still going to keep you here overnight on suicide watch, and would recommend a councillor."

She hated what he was saying. She didn't need help. Well, she kept telling herself that.

In reality, she needed it more than ever.