Chapter 1

Moving on is simple, it's what you leave behind that makes it so difficult. - anonymous

I stared at Morgan, who was across from me, and he stared back." How long have we been doing this, Reid?" he asked.

" I'd check but I would probably blink," I replied. I heard footsteps and someone walked in." What are you two doing?" Garcia asked. Morgan looked at her and blinked." I win!" I shouted.

Morgan glared at me." What's up baby girl? New case?"

" Depends on the context of case," she said." New person for the team and a new case. Reid, you may not be the genius anymore." Morgan muttered something. We followed Garcia out of the room. JJ and Rossi were in the conference room. Hotch was nowhere.

" Where's Hotch?" I asked. You could feel the tension in the room. Getting new members was normal and not this tense. Something was up.

" Here," Hotch walked in with a woman. Garcia, Morgan, and I sat next to Rossi and JJ." First off team, meet Dr. Ashley Conners our newest member. Dr. Conners please tell us a little about yourself."

" Hello," she said." I'm Dr. Ashley Conners. Please call me Dr. Conners or Conners. I'm 28 years old. I have PhDs in chemistry, mathematics, and psychology and BAs in physics, sociology, and biology. I have no family, I'm new to the area, I have an IQ of 190, and can read 20,000 a minute. That's me in a nutshell."

Garcia was right. So much for my genius title. She's smarter than me." Not to be rude but what happened to your family?" JJ asked. She seemed concerned for Dr. Conners. Dr. Conners slightly flinched when JJ asked about her family. You could only tell she flinched if you knew behavior analysis since it was like microscopic.

" We don't talk anymore. I moved on. It was easy and I don't need pity. I didn't get along with my parents so I moved out at 18," she said." Enough about me, Agent Hotchner can you please explain the case."

Hotch turned to JJ. She nodded and passed out the files on the case." Winston, Maine had five prostitutes murdered one month ago. State police looked into it but it was a dead end. Now 5 more people have been murdered. They aren't prostitutes either."

JJ pulled up the pictures of the 5 victims." Victim 1 was Michael Scott age 25. He was shot at Moore park near the pond. Victim 2 was Marie Adams age 22. She was on a public bus when she was shot two days after Michael. Victim 3 was Martin James age 28. He was shot in his own home one week after Marie. Victim 4 was Mandy Lee age 18. She was most likely shot in an alley because that was where her body was found. She was shot two days after Martin. Victim 5 was Alec Martin age 30. His body was found on a boat in the pond at the same park Michael Scott was shot. He was shot yesterday and that was a week after Mandy was shot."

" So the kill should be tomorrow then?" Dr. Conners asked. JJ nodded. I noticed something about each of the victims.

" Do you have any pictures of the previous victims?" I asked. She nodded and pulled ten more up. The ten victims were shot twice, once in the heart and once in the head. They had blood smeared over their foreheads and their shirts were ripped up." Are any of the bodies still at the morgue?"

" Um Alec Martin and Mandy Lee are," she said." Why do you ask?"

" All of them were shot in the head and the heart but it doesn't look like they were shot with the same gun or by the same person. Plus their shirts ripped up aren't from struggle. It looks like they were trying to spell there name or initials but it's not clear so they used blood. The blood on the forehead is from the shot but is smeared into the initials AC."

" So we have five or ten unsubs?" Rossi asked.

" No, we have four or five. The prostitutes were just practice. See each of the ten victims have different wounds. Mandy Lee matches the fourth prostitute, Michael Scott matches the first prostitute, and Marie Adams matches the second prostitute. Then Alec Martin and Martin James match the fifth and third prostitutes."

" We have four unsubs," Rossi said." What is the AC for then?"

" I don't like this case," Hotch said." But we need to get there fast because somebody is going to die tomorrow. But by which unsub? Wheels up in 30."

Everyone began to get up. I noticed something." Hotch," I said. He looked at me." I don't think anybody is going to get shot tomorrow."

" What do you mean Reid?" he asked.

" I mean 5 prostitutes were shot and the 5 other people were shot. Has anybody been reported missing?"

" I'll get on that and let you guys know," Garcia said.

" If people have been missing it could mean they have struck before. Also check out missing prostitutes Garcia," Hotch said.

" I have magic but I'm not that magical sir," she said.

" We need to go now. Who knows how many people have been killed and it looks like they are growing more confident by the day. Wheels up in thirty," Hotch said. Morgan, Rossi, JJ, Hotch, and Garcia left. Dr. Conners looked at those pictures. She seemed like she was in a trance.

" Are you okay Dr. Conners?" I asked. She snapped out of the trance." I'm fine. It was just... nothing. Just forget Reid. We need to get going."

She got up and walked away. I watched her go and then looked back at the pictures. There was something about her. I just couldn't profile it.