Chapter 5

Rossi's POV

"So Alec Martin was your best friend and roommate. He, you, and Adam Conners were friends at one point. You and Adam got in a feud over what exactly?" I asked Matthew.

"Riley and Ashley." He stated.

"What was wrong with Riley and Ashley?" I asked.

"They were 19 and engaged. I thought they were too young and Adam was fine with it." Matthew said.

"That's it?" JJ asked.

"He also took advantage of my girlfriend while she was drunk at a party. I was down stairs when it happened." He said.

"Did she know what was happening?" JJ asked.

"Yes and no. She knew what she was doing but she thought it was me. When she woke up and saw Adam with her, she came and found me asleep downstairs and told me right then and there that she cheated on me with Adam. I told her to explain and she did. I believed her. Adam walked down stairs and that's when our fight started." He sighed.

"What happened to your girlfriend?" JJ asked. I wanted to know where Alec was with all of this but it looked like Matthew needed comfort and JJ was trying to give it to him.

"Um, she passed during childbirth five years ago." He said.

"Boy or girl?" I asked.

"Girl. Ally Hope Adams. Grace, my girlfriend, well, wife, always had hope and I liked the name Ally. We'd been married for two years. We knew going into the hospital she most likely wasn't going to come out. She was in a lot of pain and sick. So we decided if it was a girl her name was Ally Hope and if a boy Carter James. Ally was born and Grace lived long enough to hold her. She looked down at Ally and then up at me, "She's beautiful, Matt. You'll do good. I'm sorry." Those were her last words. She had nothing to be sorry about; yet, she thought she had to apologize for leaving Ally and I when there was nothing she could have done." Tears slide down Matthew's face.

"I'm sorry. So were is Ally now?" I asked.

"She stayed with Alec and I. Lately with this case though, she's been staying with Grace's sister Juliette. I get to see her every now and then. She was sad when she learned Alec passed. Alec was also like a dad to her. Uncle Al, she called him. She'll be upset to here Riley's gone too. Uncle Al and Uncle Ri were here favorite people in the world." Matthew smiled at the thought of Ally.

"It's good to see her often. I have a son. He's about Ally's age and those little moments are everything," JJ told him. He nodded.

"Back to Alec," I said, "Did he mention anything about Adam Conners within the last, say, year?"

Matthew thought for a minute. "Actually, about a year ago he mentioned Adam. I was home with Ally because it was parents day at school. He came home and asked if I had talked to Adam at all? I told him I wouldn't want to ever talk to that jerk and I asked him why he wondered. He just said that Adam had approached him that day and had said somethings to him.

"He dropped it after that. I tried bringing it up to him within the last year but he told me to drop it." He said.

This was interesting. "Can you remember any specific details? The date or anything Alec might have said that happened in the conversation?" JJ asked. Took the words out of my mouth.

Matthew thought again. "The conversation happened a year before Alec died. A year to the day. As for the conversation, he mentioned something about Adam accusing Alec of replacing him as my best friend and in year if he didn't step back fishing might not be fun."