Chapter 2

I sat next to Morgan on the plane." That was amazing what you could tell from the crime scene photos," Morgan said.

" What do think of Dr. Conners?" I asked him.

" I don't know. We've only known her for an hour. She seemed off kilter when we talked about the case like it had meaning to her. Did she say where she was from?"

" No, she didn't say. After you guys left, she seemed like she was in a trance by those pictures," I said.

" What if somebody will die tomorrow? The unsubs had killed more prostitutes and just got sloppy at the end and left the bodies," he said.

" I don't know. I know one thing, Hotch was right. I don't like this case." I said. Morgan agreed.

------

We walked into the park and towards the sight of the latest murder. The police chief walked up to us." FBI I presume. Chief Eric Adams." he said.

He and Hotch shook hands." Agent Aaron Hotchner. This is Agents Derek Morgan, David Rossi, and Jennifer Jareau and Drs. Spencer Reid and-"

" Ashley Conners," Chief Adams smiled." Little Ash Conners. Look at you a doctor and FBI agent just like you dreamed you of. You know I saw your bro-"

" That's enough Chief Adams," she said.

" Are you from here Dr. Conners?" JJ asked.

She didn't answer." Yes she is. She followed the police department everywhere. Helped solve a few cases too," Chief Adams said." Anyway, Alec Martin's murder boat is over here."

The others followed Chief Adams. I called Garcia." Hello replaced Einstein," she said.

" Garcia, I need you to do a background check on Dr. Ashley Conners," I said.

" I thought you would be all over her Reid," she said." What's up?"

" Chief Adams knew Ashley Conners. She grew up here in Maine. He also said something about he saw her brother or brothers. He only got bro out though before she cut him off," I said.

" I'll get on it," Garcia said." Thanks Garcia." " Oh and 15 other prostitutes have been killed in this county within the last few months." We hung up.

I caught up with the others." What took you so long Reid?" Rossi asked.

" Garcia called and said 15 other prostitutes have been killed in this county within the last few months," I said." They were just like these ten victims. Ripped up shirts, smeared blood on the forehead, and shot in the head and heart."

" So somebody is going to die tomorrow," Rossi said." Reid, what were the ages of prostitutes?"

" They varied," I said.

The Sheriff's phone rang." Hello... Really... But it shouldn't have been till tomorrow... Where again... We'll be there soon," he hung up." My son, who is the deputy, said they just found another body."

" Riley is deputy now?" Dr. Conners asked.

Sheriff Adams's face saddened." Matthew is deputy."

" Conners and Morgan you go with Chief Adams to the crime scene. Reid and JJ head to the station and set a place up for us. Rossi and I will check out the other scenes," Hotch said.

" All the cops are at the scene but my wife Angie and younger son Jake should be there," Chief Adams said." They'll help you settle into a conference room."

" Alright," JJ said." Let's go Reid."

We got to the station and saw a woman and 10 year old boy sitting at the front desk." Angie and Jake Adams?" JJ asked. They looked up." I'm Agent Jennifer Jareau and this is Dr. Spencer Reid from the FBI. Your husband said you could help us set up in a conference room."

" Of course. Where is Eric?" she asked.

" He's at the newest crime scene with another agent, Derek Morgan, and our new member Dr. Ashley Conners," I said.

" Little Ash Conners?" she asked." Ashley's here!" Jake cheered.

" Did you know Dr. Conners?" JJ asked." Your husband said the same thing but she cut him off."

" Ashley was a sweetheart. She was more our child than David and Sandra's, her parents. She dated Riley," Angie sighed.

" Mrs. Adams," JJ said." Please call me Angie," " Could you tell us about your family and Dr. Conners?"

" Certainly," she said. JJ, Angie, Jake, and I sat down at the table." Jake is 10 and our youngest and he's in 4th grade. Our eldest is Matthew, who's 30, and he's the deputy, Riley was 28, Marie was 22, Sara is 25, Jason is 18, and Lilly is 15."

" Wait," I said." Marie Adams, the second victim, was your daughter?"

" Yes and Michael Scott was Sara's fiancé," she said.

" You talked about Riley in past tense," JJ noticed.

" Jake, go to the front. Your father or siblings may call," Angie shooed Jake to the front and returned." Eric didn't tell you. Matthew found Riley shot in the head and heart in his car on Main. His car was parked in the exact same spot where Marie was shot." She started to cry." I'm sorry Jake doesn't know yet."

JJ and I locked a look." Can you tell us about Ashley's family?" I asked.

" Sure. She's the second oldest," " She has siblings?" " Yes. Her older brother Adam is 30, she has a twin, Ashton, Austin who is 25, Anna who is 22, Andy who is 18, Aaron is 15, and Alex is 10."

" So all the children's initials are AC?" I asked.

" Yes and the kids are same age as mine." Angie said. Jake came in with a boy with scraggly brown hair." Mom, Alex wants to know if he can stay over?"

" Sure. Alex and Jake, why don't you two stay in here," Angie said. They sat down next to Angie." Alex this is Agent Jennifer Jareau and Dr. Spencer Reid. They work with the FBI and your sister."

" Anna is to stupid to be in the FBI. I also see her everyday," Alex said." No Ashley," Alex stayed quiet." I need to go. I'll be back later." He rushed out of the department.

The phone rang. It was Garcia." You're on speaker Garcia. It's me, Reid, Chief Adams's wife Angie and son Jake. He's only 10." JJ said.

" I don't have any icky stuff, so he's fine," Garcia said." Anyway I did a background check on Dr. Conners just like you requested Reid and I have nothing."

" What do you mean you have nothing?" I asked.

" I'm saying there is no report of an Ashley Conners. Ashley Conners does not exist. I checked even Ash Conners or any Conners in Winston, Maine. There is nothing."

" That's not possible," Angie said." All 8 kids exist. Sandra and David died 5 years ago though."

" Does Dr. Conners have a brother named Alex Conners, 10?" Garcia asked." Yes," " I found him but he's the only one I could find."

" Garcia," JJ said." I don't care if Hotch hasn't authorized, you need to get here," " On my way. Garcia out." " You were right on ordering a background check on her, Reid. We need to tell the team."

" We can't let Ashley know what we know about her," I said." Jake and Angie, this means you can't tell anybody about this."

" Understood," Angie said." Okay," Jake said.