Chapter 4

Reid's POV

Ashley came in minutes after we ended our talk. She walked over to Morgan." Detailed report of the crime scene and pictures." She said." Thank you." he said.

" So the unsubs were most violent with Riley and Marie Adams. Their deaths must be personal to them," Rossi said." We need to figure out where they met the unsubs."

" Don't you need to figure out how they're connected first?" Ashley asked." Go through the victimology."

" We figured that out already," I said." They're connected to the Adams. Riley and Maria were two of the Adams's kids, Michael was Sara's fiancé, Mandy was a friend, Alec worked here at the station and roomed with Matthew, and Martin was their neighbor. We still haven't figured out the significance of the AC."

We had decided that the AC had to connect to Ashley and her family. Maybe the unsubs are killing the victims because they also know the Conners besides the Adams. Either way, the AC is a signature and is trying to get a hold of someone." Ashley, why don't you look into the lives of Riley and Maria Adams, JJ and Rossi look into Alec and Martin, Morgan look into Mandy, and Reid and I will look into Michael." Hotch said.

*******

 Sara sat down on the chair across from Hotch and I, who were on the couch. "Thank you for talking to us Ms. Adams." Hotch said.

"Anything for this case. I've lost too many people who I was close to. So, you want information on Michael, correct?" she asked. We nodded. "Michael worked at the local hardware store. He recently got promoted to manager. Our wedding was suppose to be a month after the day he was shot. He grew up here, that's how we met, at school. He was my best friend."

"Did Michael know any of the Conners?" I asked.

Sara stared at me bewildered. "What kind of a question is that?"

"Answer the question Ms. Adams. This is key." Hotch informed her.

She sighed. "All of us kids hung out. Michael worked with Austin Conners though. Austin was quite peculiar. He was dyslexic and had ADHD which made learning hard for him. He was always quiet and seclusive and didn't have many friends. Michael was one of the only people, who wasn't in my family, that was kind to him. I've had this feeling all my life that Austin had a crush on me. If he did, he never admitted it. He was defensive of me, and so was Michael. I could take care of myself but Michael and Austin made it their job to watch out for me. Matt and Riley did too. Michael was like Austin's best friend and role model. Whatever Michael was doing or wherever he was, Austin was bound to be with him.

"We told Austin we were engaged at a lunch get together at the local dinner, our hangout. He said he was happy for us. Michael left to go to the restroom and Austin asked if I was sure about this. If I was sure Michael was for me. I told him yes. He then said, and these were his exact words, "Don't make a foolish mistake Sara as I have down before. If he hurts you or is gone when you need him, I'll be there. I'm always there for you Sara, through thick and thin. Someday he'll be gone and I'll be there for you when that happens. A walk in the park one year later can change a life. Okay?" Michael came back and kissed me on the cheek. Austin then excused himself saying that he had a family gathering, which was weird because that whole family is just not a family. Does he have something to do with this?"

"When did all this happen?" I asked.

"We got engaged the night before. Austin said those things a year ago to the day Michael died," she barely managed to get that out. "Oh god, did Austin kill Michael?"

"When was the last time you saw Austin?" Hotch asked.

"Yesterday. He comes over everyday at the same time, 3:00." It was 2:50 right now.

"We should leave now Hotch. He'll be here in 10 minutes," I said. Hotch nodded. "We'll let you know if we need anything else and updates for the case. If Austin ever says anything that seems important, like it deals with Michael or this case or his family, let us know without him knowing. Also, don't tell him that you talked to us." She nodded and we left.

"Austin told Sara he was going to murder Michael a year before the actual murder," I said. " "A walk in the park one year later can change life" and "Someday he'll be gone and I'll be there for you when that happens" were his clues. I wonder what the others found out?"

"He only killed Michael. he had no reason to kill the others. If our hunch if correct, then some of the other Conners had apart in this." Hotch said.

"But what does the AC stand for? Is it their initials as a signature or what?" I asked.