7 | Someone Like Her

Noah Crawford III, a close friend and business partner, rarely liked leaving his office

Noah Crawford III, a close friend and business partner, rarely liked leaving his office. However, Xavier hated leaving his. That was why they were at odds when it came to meeting each other. The situation now, however, called for the involvement of someone who was a lesser evil of Varjot and the Visconti.

His friend's eyes narrowed as he entered Xavier's office, going over to where Rafa stood beside him.

"Leave us for an hour," Xavier said, lips twitching in an effort to conceal his smile.

Rafa gave him a deadpanned look before walking out. The two men did not greet each other. Once the door clicked shut, Noah relaxed.

One of the reasons they become good friends was because both of them were fiercely protective of those close to them. They understood each other. However, in doing so, Noah's head of security and Rafa had gotten close as well.

Too close.

And with Mathias' painful past, it made sense why Noah was so on edge. He did not want Mathias to get hurt once again. Ergo, despite many reassurances, he was still cold to the idea of Rafa dating his head of security. Xavier found it amusing but he also did not care enough to intervene. Both men were adults and could make their own decisions. Noah just liked to play guardian.

"Why are you relaxing?" Xavier couldn't help but ask, a teasing look on his face. "He's probably out there with Mathias."

"Don't," his friend growled through clenched teeth. "Tell me why I am here so I can leave."

That made the amusement vanish from his face. If Noah noted, he didn't say anything.

"Are you familiar with Elvira Miller?"

Noah nodded grimly. "A drug like Athaprine 494 is hard to forget. It nearly wiped out a conglomerate we had in Hong Kong."

Xavier nodded, slightly uncomfortable at how he was going to go about this. In the end, he decided to to start with something–or, rather someone.

"I have the information you required on Gabriella Canalis. Rafa should have given it to Mathias by now. You can have a look in your own time and let me know if you require further assistance." He glanced at the door behind his friend. Even Noah knew he was not done, so both men remained quiet. "I need someone from your special forces to look into Ms. Miller's niece. She's the daughter of Ms. Miller's brother who passed away about seven years ago. The niece has been living with her ever since. I have a reason to believe she's not the only one living in that house."

Noah shifted forward, a frown marring his features. "Is she involved as well?"

Xavier shook his head. "She's being made to pay off Ms. Miller's debt. I would get involved because something's definitely not right but Visconti involvement is best avoided. For some reason," he shrugged his shoulders lightly, "someone always ends up dead. And I don't even need to tell you what would happen if Varjot got a whiff of this."