20 | Someone Like Him

It was a difficult task; watching Xavier Visconti without being caught by him

It was a difficult task; watching Xavier Visconti without being caught by him. It seemed like his eyes were always on her. 

"Is something the matter?" 

She shook her head. "No, I–" she paused, "–I've only had Emma or Esme here when I study."

"If I'm distracting you, I can always go upstairs."

The tone of his voice made her squirm. They'd been sitting on the rug on the floor, laptops on the coffee table as they did their respective work for a couple of hours now. While Xavier looked entirely comfortable, Lydia was having a problem concentrating. 

"I – I think I just need a break from studying," she lied. She hadn't done as much as she would have if he hadn't been here. And yet, she couldn't bring herself to take him up on his offer and let him got upstairs. 

Lydia enjoyed his silent company. 

Even in his position on the floor, he looked powerful. She liked listening to him speak on the phone. 

"I'll take a break as well. It's almost five pm."

That was not what she had in mind. She was hoping to go into the bedroom and calm down.  

"How is the software Cairo installed for you? Is it working well?"

Lydia didn't know what possessed her to do it until it was too late. She grabbed her laptop and went over to sit next to him.

"Yes! He actually downloaded the version which isn't even on the market yet. He said he knows the developer so I'm like a beta tester. I love it."

And because sitting next to him made her ever more nervous than when she sat across him, she went into unnecessary detail about how the functions worked. 

"... and that – that's the executive program," she finished.

He was already staring at her when she looked up.

"So you approve?"

She nodded. "I think it's ready to be put on the market."

"I'll let the developer know."

"You know him?" she asked, awe in her tone.

"You can say that."

She needed to get up and go wash her face with cold water before she started another ramble.